WebTransport status and plan

Yutaka Hirano

Mar 29, 2021, 2:50:17 AM3/29/21
to web-transport-dev
Hi,

As you may know, the IETF working group decided to focus on WebTransport over HTTP/3. We are going to switch our implementation soon, and will start an origin trial. Note that the current implementation, WebTransport over QUIC, will be removed altogether.

We're planning to have the origin trial M91 through M94. Also we don't expect that we'll be ready to ship WebTransport over HTTP/3 in M95, which means for some milestones WebTransport over HTTP/3 will be available only with command line flags - Are you fine with the situation? We can extend the origin trial period so it is possible to raise your voice at that time, but I'd like to hear from you earlier rather than later.

Thanks,

guest271314

Mar 29, 2021, 9:45:16 AM3/29/21
to web-transport-dev, yhi...@chromium.org

> Note that the current implementation, WebTransport over QUIC, will be removed altogether.

What?! Why? I have finally been able to realize use case that were not possible without numerous workarounds using WebTransport over QUIC https://github.com/guest271314/webtransport

Yutaka Hirano

Mar 30, 2021, 11:53:13 PM3/30/21
to guest271314, web-transport-dev
Sorry for the trouble. Please see the discussions in the IETF working group for the rationale of the protocol selection.

WebTransport over HTTP/3 is similar to WebTransport over QUIC so you will be able to switch the protocol, hopefully without many troubles.

Thanks,

guest271314

Mar 31, 2021, 7:51:51 PM3/31/21
to web-transport-dev, yhi...@chromium.org, web-transport-dev, guest271314

Victor Vasiliev

Apr 1, 2021, 11:09:10 AM4/1/21
to guest271314, web-transport-dev, yhi...@chromium.org
The server code in the example does not work with WebTransport over HTTP/3.  The web page with an example should work fine with WebTransport over HTTP/3, since the API is mostly transport-agnostic.