DNS over TLS

Amit Sharma

Nov 11, 2021, 12:08:00 AM11/11/21
to web-transport-dev
Hi All,

I am making PWA and problem is with  WebTransport there is no way to establish DoT (DNS over TLS ) connection, anyone know if it's possible here

Yutaka Hirano

Nov 12, 2021, 12:54:34 AM11/12/21
to Amit Sharma, web-transport-dev
Sorry, can you describe your problem a bit more in detail?

You want to establish a WebTransport over HTTP/3 connection and you want to use DoT for the DNS resolution, right?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 2:08 PM 'Amit Sharma' via web-transport-dev <web-tran...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi All,

I am making PWA and problem is with  WebTransport there is no way to establish DoT (DNS over TLS ) connection, anyone know if it's possible here

Amit Sharma

Nov 12, 2021, 4:42:55 AM11/12/21
to web-transport-dev, yhi...@chromium.org, web-transport-dev, Amit Sharma
Yes, I want to establish DoT connection from PWA app (which use WebTransport - https://web.dev/webtransport/ ).

Amit Sharma

Nov 12, 2021, 5:21:03 AM11/12/21
to web-transport-dev, Amit Sharma, Raghavendra Singh Niranjan

adding friend to explain more over it

Raghavendra Singh Niranjan

Nov 12, 2021, 5:48:41 AM11/12/21
to web-transport-dev, Amit Sharma, Raghavendra Singh Niranjan
Hi,

We want to implement the DNS over TLS functionality, for that we need to create the TLS socket with DNS server,
I am able to do it chrome app by using "chrome.sockets.tcp.secure" API, but this API is not available in PWA,
so we are looking something similar so that we can establish TLS socket, once the socket established we can send DNS data over it.

Thanks

guest271314

Nov 13, 2021, 10:06:47 AM11/13/21
to web-transport-dev, Raghavendra Singh Niranjan, Amit Sharma
> but this API is not available in PWA

Are you certain about that? When you utilize "web_accessible_resources" you should be able to use any chrome.* API in the page loaded at chrome-extension://.

Yutaka Hirano

Nov 15, 2021, 9:05:52 PM11/15/21
to Raghavendra Singh Niranjan, web-transport-dev, Amit Sharma
Ah I think I understand what you are trying to do. You want to implement DNS over TLS using WebTransport over HTTP/3, right?

WebTransport over HTTP/3 is not a raw socket API and you cannot use it to implement DNS over TLS I think.