QuicTransport protocol update

Victor Vasiliev

Sep 4, 2020, 10:44:34 AM9/4/20
to web-transport-dev
Hello, fellow WebTransport enthusiasts.

I wrote an update to the wire protocol used by QuicTransport: <https://github.com/vasilvv/webtransport/pull/18>.  This won't affect the current origin trial (which is Chrome 84-86); this would be a new wire protocol version, and thus it would use a new ALPN token.

The first major change here is that the keys in the client indication are changed from 16-bit integers to strings, in order to make it easier to extend the protocol by adding new custom fields.

The second change is that the server now has to explicitly respond to the client indication (which is why I renamed it to just "handshake").  This fixes the issue where before, the server could explicitly reject the supplied origin or path, but there was no way to explicitly accept it.  This has caused some developer confusion, and made QuicTransport harder to test.

I would appreciate any feedback on the changes above, especially if you've worked with the current version of it.

Cheers,
  Victor.