Re: Chromebit BLE Advertising

Vincent Scheib

Mar 9, 2021, 8:11:34 PM3/9/21
to Renaud Paquay, web-bluetooth, Jameel Thompson, you...@chromium.org, key...@chromium.org, arma...@chromium.org
FYI: ChromeBit was End of Life-ed last November.

Tech wise:
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/reference/bluetoothLowEnergy/#method-registerAdvertisement had limited access in use.  Chrome.* APIs are being deprecated and we do not have a web platform solution for sending advertisements at this time.

The longer term bluetooth platform support are based on Web Bluetooth, which has not addressed peripheral mode yet.  The web-capabilities-fugu effort is expanding these types of capabilities based on partner demand.  Being open source, external contributors can develop this capability.  Google staff will prioritize based on relative needs we see from web developer businesses.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 9:20 AM Renaud Paquay <rpa...@chromium.org> wrote:
(adding sch...@chromium.org who may have more up to date information about bluetooth LE support)

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 8:58 AM Jameel Thompson <jameel....@executiveops.us> wrote:
Good Morning Lad(s),

I hope you are doing quite well. I've been researching the various options pertaining to ChromeOS and BLE. I found you information here...https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/device/bluetooth/

Hopefully, I'm not out of tolerance by sending you a direct email and please forgive me if I've overstepped any boundaries.

I'm attempting to get a clear understanding of the functionality limits of BLE in the Chromebit devices. I want my device to advertise as a peripheral by custom intervals. Is there a way to turn on Bluetooth Low Energy advertisements without being in developer mode? I wish to operate the Chromebit as a verified version(v86)...especially for Enterprise Support.

The only way I have been able to get the Bluetooth Low energy to advertise is in development mode thus far. Each time I go back into standard mode via 'device wash', I'm unable to get the desired status.

Thanks Kindly,
Jameel Aleem Thompson

Vincent Scheib

Mar 9, 2021, 8:25:50 PM3/9/21