Notifications laggy on chromebook

nal...@workbenchplatform.com

Mar 27, 2018, 3:21:22 PM3/27/18
to web-bluetooth
I have a device that sends notifications very frequently.  On my Mac I get the notification associated with the action in my javascript immediately, but on chrome os the associated notification is delayed.  It seems like the longer I leave the device connected, the longer the delay.

For example, the controller is constantly sending notifications and I am logging them. On my Mac, if I press the "A" button, I immediately see the data being logged that indicate that the "A" button was pressed.  On the Chromebook, when I press the "A" button there is about a 1 second delay from when I press the "A" button to when I see the data being logged.  This delay seems to grow as the connection stays open.

I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to get around this on the chromebook?

Giovanni Ortuño

Mar 27, 2018, 8:33:47 PM3/27/18
to nal...@workbenchplatform.com, web-bluetooth
Would you mind opening a bug about it? Some logs would also be good. I'll bring it up with Chrome OS folks.

nal...@workbenchplatform.com

Mar 27, 2018, 9:37:30 PM3/27/18
to web-bluetooth, nal...@workbenchplatform.com
I'll open one tomorrow when I can get a copy of the logs.

I'm afraid that it may have something to do with how often oncharacteristicvaluechanged is called for this device.  The device I'm using is a Parrot FlyPad, incase you happen to have one.  Other devices that I work with only cause oncharacteristicvaluechanged to be called when something actually changes, and those devices don't seem to have any issues with latency or with notifications stopping after some period of time.

Giovanni Ortuño

Mar 27, 2018, 9:49:48 PM3/27/18
to nal...@workbenchplatform.com, web-bluetooth
Thanks. Also, please try the latest dev build. I know the Chrome OS team has recently landed many improvements to the Bluetooth drivers.

nal...@workbenchplatform.com

Mar 28, 2018, 9:47:27 AM3/28/18
to web-bluetooth, nal...@workbenchplatform.com, ort...@google.com
I reported it here https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=826716

Unfortunately, the logs don't look too helpful.

The lagging seemed to be slightly better in the dev build.  But over time the lag went from nonexistent to very noticeable.

The notifications still abruptly stop after a few minutes, so I guess that isn't worked out yet, but I'm not sure if it is related to this issue.