Gradually enabling APIs in Chrome Stable 115

Rowan Merewood

Jul 17, 2023, 4:30:31 PM7/17/23
to Attribution Reporting API announcements, FLEDGE API announcements, Shared Storage API announcements, Topics API announcements
Hello testers,

In May we shared our plans to ship the Privacy Sandbox relevance and measurement APIs (https://developer.chrome.com/blog/shipping-privacy-sandbox/) in Chrome 115. With Chrome 115 going to Stable tomorrow, we will begin the process of gradually enabling the APIs in the next few days.

As with some previous Privacy Sandbox features, we'll gradually enable the APIs for an increasing percentage of browser instances to make sure that we can monitor and respond to any potential issues. Our aim is to start this process soon after the 115 Stable date of July 18, 2023; most likely the week of July 24. From there we intend to ramp up the proportion of enabled browsers over the following weeks. We will also start removing the origin trial token requirement for pre-Stable channels (Beta, Canary, etc.) this week as we begin to ramp up the overall traffic.

We will be sharing a blog post with more detail within the week.

Also, a reminder that enrollment will soon be required in order to call the APIs.  If you have not already enrolled, check https://goo.gle/privacy-sandbox-enroll to begin the process as soon as possible.

As always, you can reach out to us here or on the developer support repo (https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/privacy-sandbox-dev-support) with any issues.

Rowan Merewood

Jul 26, 2023, 2:02:47 PM7/26/23
to Attribution Reporting API announcements, FLEDGE API announcements, Shared Storage API announcements, Topics API announcements
Hello testers,

We are currently holding on the ramp-up of the Privacy Sandbox relevance and measurement APIs as we wait for the overall Chrome 115 release to reach a larger population. We intend to start soon after that, but this means we will be moving the expected start date into the week commencing 31st July. We will continue to post updates to these lists as we progress.

Rowan Merewood

Aug 3, 2023, 9:45:27 AM8/3/23
to Attribution Reporting API announcements, FLEDGE API announcements, Shared Storage API announcements, Topics API announcements
Hello developers,

The overall Chrome 115 release has completed meaning we are now clear to begin enabling the Privacy Sandbox relevance and measurement APIs. We plan to start the ramp up from Monday, 7th August and increase to approximately 35% of Chrome Stable desktop and Android browsers over the following few days. With the ramp up, participating developers should also prepare for an increase in traffic calling the APIs and a matching increase in aggregatable reports from Chrome for users of the Aggregation Service.

Once the ramp up is underway we can better evaluate when we expect to reach 99% availability, and will continue to keep you posted on progress and plans for each milestone.

Users need to relaunch Chrome before version updates or incremental API updates take effect, meaning it always takes additional time for the ramp up to reach the target levels.

Similarly to the origin trial, this ramp up includes a mix of different experimental groups. The main group will have all APIs enabled, but we are also running isolated groups with individual APIs enabled to allow for easier detection of any potential issues. This should not affect your implementation or testing as you should be using feature detection for the individual APIs in the origin trial and you should also be accounting for users enabling or disabling different APIs via the user controls.

As always, you can reach out to us here or on the developer support repo (https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/privacy-sandbox-dev-support) with any issues.

Sam Dutton

Aug 9, 2023, 12:12:14 PM8/9/23
to Topics API announcements, Attribution Reporting API announcements, FLEDGE API announcements, Shared Storage API announcements

Hello testers,

We have begun the ramp up of all Ads Relevance and Measurement APIs, and you can expect to see traffic levels increase over the next few days. We will monitor metrics and evaluate when we can proceed to the next phase of the roll-out. Users need to relaunch Chrome before version updates or incremental API updates take effect. This ramp up includes a mix of different experimental groups. The main group will have all APIs enabled, but we are also running isolated groups with individual APIs enabled to allow for easier detection of any potential issues. The planned traffic levels for this phase of the ramp up are as follows:

Attribution Reporting: 35%

Protected Audience: 35%

Shared Storage: 35%

Fenced Frames: 40%

Topics: 35%

Private Aggregation: 40%

We will continue to keep you posted on progress and plans for each milestone.

As always, you can reach out to us here or on the developer support repo with any issues.

Rowan Merewood

Aug 22, 2023, 2:28:02 PM8/22/23
to Attribution Reporting API announcements, FLEDGE API announcements, Topics API announcements, Shared Storage API announcements
Hello testers,
We've reached our milestone for the ~35% ramp-up and intend to continue heading towards ~50% from Wednesday, 23rd August.

As before, users need to relaunch Chrome before version updates or incremental API updates take effect. This ramp up includes a mix of different experimental groups. The main group will have all APIs enabled, but we are also running isolated groups with individual APIs enabled to allow for easier detection of any potential issues. The planned traffic levels for this phase of the ramp up are as follows:
Attribution Reporting: 50%
Protected Audience: 50%
Shared Storage: 50%
Fenced Frames: 55%
Topics: 50%
Private Aggregation: 55%

We will continue to keep you posted on progress and plans for each milestone.

As always, you can reach out to us here or on the developer support repo (https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/privacy-sandbox-dev-support) with any issues.

Sam Dutton

Sep 1, 2023, 2:03:19 PM9/1/23
to Topics API announcements, Rowan Merewood, Attribution Reporting API announcements, FLEDGE API announcements, Shared Storage API announcements
Hello testers,

We've reached our milestone for the ~50% ramp-up and intend to move to  ~99% from Friday, 1st September.

As before, users need to relaunch Chrome before version updates or incremental API updates take effect. At this point we are also moving to a single large experiment group with all APIs enabled with a selection of individual holdback groups with individual APIs disabled to continue enabling detection of potential issues.

Origin trial tokens will remain valid until September 20th, 2023 but it is no longer necessary to provide them.