Stability of telemetry metrics

Bartosz Wiklak

Oct 31, 2019, 12:47:39 PM10/31/19
to telemetry
Hi, I wonder how is the stability of benchmark metrics is assured. Is it safe to assume that when we run the same benchmark on successive chromium checkouts results are always comparable i.e. if we see a change in metrics one can be sure that's a change in product being benchmarked not change in telemetry or storyset?

Caleb Rouleau

Oct 31, 2019, 2:09:19 PM10/31/19
to telemetry
If you run the same story on successive chromium checkouts then the results should be comparable. However, if you run the same benchmark and use some average of the available stories, then that average could shift since stories are frequently added or removed (especially from system_health benchmarks).

I hope this helps!

Bartosz Wiklak

Nov 4, 2019, 3:35:53 AM11/4/19
to telemetry
Thanks, is there any formal check for that? I can imagine that some change in core components can have an affect on metrics.

Christopher C

Dec 20, 2019, 11:18:17 PM12/20/19
to telemetry