Re: chromium:632009: Styles injected by extensions don't take precedence over the page's styles

Ojan Vafai

Nov 5, 2017, 11:31:40 PM11/5/17
to Naina Raisinghani, style-dev, Robert Cronin (Devlin)
Since I was pinged...

I don't want to comment on the bug as there are strong emotions there. Best to figure out what makes the most sense and then update the bug.

What would the maintenance cost be of supporting both user stylesheets and author stylesheets injected from extensions? If the cost is low, then supporting both doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If the cost is medium or high, then we should probably consider how bad the breakage is and then decide whether to support just user sheets or both.

The one thing that's clear to me is that we shouldn't support only author sheets injected from extensions. I feel quite confident that's the less common use case (just based off anecdata and intuition though).

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 7:15 PM nainar via monorail <monorail+v2...@chromium.org> wrote:
Updates:
Cc: m.je...@eyeo.com
Owner: nai...@chromium.org

Comment #44 on issue 632009 by nai...@chromium.org: Styles injected by extensions don't take precedence over the page's styles
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=632009#c44

Marking this as Owned. To reflect the true status of the work here.
Pinging Ojan also look at comment #38

1. You were specifically CC'd on the issue

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

Naina Raisinghani

Nov 6, 2017, 5:12:29 PM11/6/17
to Ojan Vafai, style-dev, Robert Cronin (Devlin)
On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 8:31 PM Ojan Vafai <oj...@chromium.org> wrote:
Since I was pinged...

I don't want to comment on the bug as there are strong emotions there. Best to figure out what makes the most sense and then update the bug.

What would the maintenance cost be of supporting both user stylesheets and author stylesheets injected from extensions? If the cost is low, then supporting both doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If the cost is medium or high, then we should probably consider how bad the breakage is and then decide whether to support just user sheets or both.

From an implementation perspective, we should be able to dupe the logic added allowing us to cater for author stylesheets as well.

Naina Raisinghani

Nov 8, 2017, 5:07:08 PM11/8/17
to Ojan Vafai, style-dev, Robert Cronin (Devlin)
Hi folks,

Just as a heads up I am going to email the author of the CLs (m.je...@eyeo.com) asking them to revert their work. So that we can pursue this again while supporting both user & author stylesheets.

I'll email them in about an hour or so, in case anyone has thoughts please do reach out to me before.