Blink Code Complexity Survey: core rendering comments

Jeremy Roman

Apr 20, 2018, 5:16:15 PM4/20/18
to layout-dev, style-dev, paint-dev
Hello,

We recently conducted a small code complexity survey via blink-dev: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/blink-dev/XXfdw82ENVM/discussion

And of the 38 responses, at least one person left a comment that is specific to core rendering. I figured I'd pass it along, though it may or may not be directly actionable.

Verbatim quotations follow:

"I work on LayoutNG. We are rewriting existing overly complex/buggy engine, there is no escape of ugliness until rewrite is dane. Spurious failing tests are really annoying, but that's not really code complexity (ex crbug.com/822982)."

"Top issue: there is not a good way to unit test much of our codebase. For example, there's no unit test framework that lets you test the cc / blink boundary."

"A lot of our systems, like layout and style are incredibly complicated with very little documentation."

"Performance test reproduction, graph interpretation, metrics - what do they mean, what do they test, do they matter? Perf test flakiness reporting unexplainable Skia glyph cache utilization differences for Blink changes, platform specific font code that's hard to maintain - more help needed."

"Allocate time, value refactoring and simplification of complicated portions of font code."