WebDatabaseHost

Dave Tapuska

Sep 19, 2022, 1:15:16 PM9/19/22
to stora...@chromium.org, platform-architecture-dev
The WebDatabaseHost class seems to be an interface to talk to the browser synchronously. I'm curious why the mojo connection can't be used on the database thread itself? Why does it need to proxy to a SharedRemote on the main thread (it isn't associated at all either)?

It is used in a few spots, and I wonder if we could store a remote say on a Database object? Not sure if that is the best spot (but we'd probably need to allow it having multiple mojo receivers on the browser side).

All except the SandboxedVFSDelegate, and QuotaTracker have a Database ptr so that seemed like a reasonable location.

dave.

Dave Tapuska

Sep 30, 2022, 1:05:58 PM9/30/22
to stora...@chromium.org, platform-architecture-dev
ping

Joshua Bell

Oct 3, 2022, 7:44:18 PM10/3/22
to Dave Tapuska, stora...@chromium.org, platform-architecture-dev
The *crickets* are probably because this is WebSQL which we'd love to pretend didn't exist and are working to deprecate/remove and have only been touching for security fixes.

mek@ points out on chat that there is currently at least one usage of the remote directly from the main thread as well, but it doesn't seem like there is any reason why that couldn't be proxied to the db thread.

Overall... seems plausible? Go for it and see what breaks?