Re: Caches and Compressed Responses

1 view

Daniel Murphy

Apr 22, 2024, 5:42:04 PMApr 22
to Aaron Shumaker, storage-dev, pwa-dev
Hm - no sorry for not being very clear. You asked "does the browser's response cache versus the PWA's cache differ in this regard?" - I was assuming you were asking about if Chromium implements an different underlying behavior with caching / networking depending on whether the content is in an installed PWA window or in the browser (it doesn't). But I think I misunderstood you - I now believe you're asking about cacheStorage vs the browser's network cache?

In that case, the folks in +storage-dev may have that info, especially regarding the first part of your question.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 2:31 PM Aaron Shumaker <aaronshu...@gmail.com> wrote:
When you say "shouldn't", are you advocating against the caching that is handled by service-workers in the fetch event handler to support offline mode?

On Monday, April 22, 2024 at 5:03:58 PM UTC-4 Daniel Murphy wrote:
There shouldn't be a separate pwa handling of caches vs the browser - it's all the same. You can think of an installed PWA HTML experience as just viewing the tab in a different display mode.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 2:00 PM Aaron Shumaker <aaronshu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm curious about whether compressed responses get cached in their compressed state?  If so, does the browser's response cache versus the PWA's cache differ in this regard?

Daniel Murphy

Apr 22, 2024, 5:43:07 PMApr 22
to Aaron Shumaker, storage-dev, pwa-dev
(adding the follow-up email from Aaron that I accidentally dropped) +storage-dev

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 2:36 PM Aaron Shumaker <aaronshu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll clarify, that if you choose not to serve a file from the service-worker managed cache, and pass it on to the browser, the browser could still respond with it's own response cache based on usual rules.  Most people view these as two different layers of caching in regards to PWAs.  My question was more in regards of how these caches handle compressed responses.  Thanks.