Web Perf APIs - Quarterly Update

Nicolás Peña

Aug 17, 2021, 3:18:03 PM8/17/21
to speed-metrics-announce

Hello everyone, we're going to start using this group to post updates on general web perf API changes and quarterly progress, hope you find this useful! Here is our 2021 Q2 (second quarter) progress as well as our objectives for in-progress Q3.

Q2 progress (looking at objectives from https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/speed_metrics/webperf_okrs.md )

  • Responsiveness: published blog post on our progress and current work.

  • Launched redefined (window-based) Cumulative Layout Shift.

  • Integrated Resource Timing into Fetch spec.

  • Improved abandonment rate computations on Chrome by considering bf cache navigations.

  • Finalized API shape for droppedEntriesCount.

Q3 objectives

  • Ship bf cache support for certain web performance APIs

  • Blog post on CWV measurement on SPA

  • Devise heuristic to distinguish between low and high content images for LCP

  • Continue investigation on progressive images and LCP

  • Implement interactionID behind a flag in Event Timing

  • Implement Scroll Timing to expose scroll-begin, behind a flag

  • Ship JS Sampling Profiler

  • Implement and ship droppedEntriesCount

  • Publish an Explainer for a Smoothness metric (potentially with a strawman API proposal). Provide motivating examples from experiments.