Fwd: compressing ICU

Mark Larson (Google)

Mar 27, 2011, 12:00:29 AM3/27/11
to chromium-dev, size-re...@chromium.org, Jungshik Shin (신정식, 申政湜), Evan Martin, Tony Chang
I realize the people who might have the best ideas here are probably all on chromium-dev, so taking a private conversation public....

Jungshik probably knows the most about the ICU library.

The question is whether we can make it more compressible, or just smaller in general.

Ideas?

See http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=76281... looks like UTF16->UTF8 drops 1MB of 0s from the file. It would still be the largest chunk of the chrome download (but still 1/3 the size of chrome.dll).

I'll see if there are other gains to be had.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 16:10, Linus Upson <li...@google.com> wrote:
I hear that ICU is the biggest chunk of the chrome download. Is the format of the file compression friendly or hostile? Is there a gain to be had by making the format more compression friendly?

Linus

Peter Kasting

Mar 27, 2011, 1:57:21 AM3/27/11
to m...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, size-re...@chromium.org, Jungshik Shin (신정식, 申政湜), Evan Martin, Tony Chang
On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Mark Larson (Google) <m...@chromium.org> wrote:
I realize the people who might have the best ideas here are probably all on chromium-dev, so taking a private conversation public....

Jungshik probably knows the most about the ICU library.

The question is whether we can make it more compressible, or just smaller in general.

Ideas?

My impression was that before the original public launch Jungshik did a lot of work making us ship the minimum amount of data possible, but that we may have lost some of those benefits with later upgrades.  It would be nice to know if I am smoking crack.

PK