developer issue with .wif files

Vermont Weaving

Oct 20, 2022, 4:29:22 AM10/20/22
to securi...@chromium.org
Hi-
I am putting the finishing touches on a new site through podia which includes .wif files. Chrome will not allow opening of these files unless I turn off all safety measures. I know that my customers are not going to be willing to do this and this is not happening in other browsers. Podia has the necessary security.

How can I let Chrome know that these can be safely downloaded?

Thank you,

PhistucK

Oct 20, 2022, 4:52:35 AM10/20/22
to Vermont Weaving, securi...@chromium.org
Does it happen with all websites that offer .wif downloads, or just with yours?
Do you use HTTPS URLs for the downloads? If not, Chrome does not like HTTP websites or downloads because they are insecure, you should definitely switch to HTTPS.

PhistucK

Vermont Weaving

Oct 20, 2022, 10:54:12 AM10/20/22
to PhistucK, securi...@chromium.org
It does not happen with all websites that use .wif files. I have been able to download from other websites.

And it is an HTTPS url.

What's next?

Daniel Rubery

Oct 26, 2022, 11:43:51 AM10/26/22
to Security-dev, Vermont Weaving, securi...@chromium.org, PhistucK
It would be helpful to provide some information or a screenshot clarifying what you mean by "will not allow opening". There's a few different root causes for downloads being blocked.

If this is a Safe Browsing warning, you may want to see https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/3258249

Nicki Scholtz

Oct 31, 2022, 5:02:19 AM10/31/22
to Security-dev, dru...@chromium.org, Vermont Weaving, securi...@chromium.org, PhistucK
I'm one of the people testing this site, and can speak to what happens.

When I click on one of the wif files, in the Chrome tray area at the bottom left where my downloads show up, I get a big red exclamation point and the message "filename.wif is dangerous, so Chrome has blocked it." and the only choice is to Discard, or Learn More.

Daniel Rubery

Oct 31, 2022, 5:02:20 AM10/31/22
to Nicki Scholtz, Security-dev, dru...@chromium.org, Vermont Weaving, PhistucK
Thank you for the information, that is indeed a Safe Browsing warning. The public guidance on addressing those is https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/3258249