question about safe browsing download blocking

Hacker, Erik R

Dec 14, 2020, 1:46:41 PM12/14/20
to securi...@chromium.org

To Google Security:

               My name is Erik Hacker. I am a developer with Snap-On Tools. We have a small website at sdupdates.com that allows our users to download

Updated versions of our software.

               The following link is being blocked

https://sdupdates.com/Content/SSC/Application/Customer/Files/US/Webdownload/ShopStream_Connect_US.exe

               and this link I added to test with is not

https://sdupdates.com/Content/SSC/Application/Customer/Files/US/Webdownload/PlainTextTestFile.txt

I’m sure it has to do with the difference of an EXE from a TXT file – but can find no suggestions on your site that would allow me to download an EXE.

               If the certificates are valid, and I’m using HTTPS – what more can be done?

Erik Hacker

Joe DeBlasio

Dec 14, 2020, 1:51:17 PM12/14/20
to Hacker, Erik R
(security-dev@ to BCC)

Hi Erik,

Can you say more about the blocking message you're seeing? There are a few different circumstances where Chrome blocks downloads, so I'd like to make sure of which one you're hitting.

Ideally, if you could tell me the exact phrasing in the warning, or even steps to reproduce it myself (clicking on your .exe link works just fine for me), that would be great.

Best,
Joe