IBM Enterprise Content Management - Chrome 88 Issues downloading .eml files with mime type message/rfc822

Mark Jordan

Feb 10, 2021, 6:46:30 PM2/10/21
to securi...@chromium.org
Hi Team-

I work with the IBM team that manages support and dev for multiple java based web applications that include functionality to download content via HTTP/HTTPS.  You can review our business footprint here:

IBM Cloud | IBM

Our issue:

At the Chrome 88 level we saw cases come in where clients are unable to download .eml files that have the mime type of message/rfc822.  We see these failure via both HTTP and HTTPS in Chrome 88.

It succeeds in all lower Chrome builds.  We thought is was related to the mixed content download security changes in Chrome 88 but the fact it occurs via HTTPS removed it from that line of troubleshooting.

We cannot account for the security block for the specific mixed content type within the application code / config level.  We cannot find a way to revert the block in Chrome 88 controls.

Is this a known issue?

I can offer HAR files showing it fail in Chrome 88 and succeed in Chrome 87 if needed.  Or any other diagnostics required, of course, including a sample .eml file.  You should be able to easily replicate this by storing an .eml file at a location where it can be downloaded via the browser.

Please advise as this is something we need to manage with a very large enterprise client base.

Thanks,

-Mark

Mark Jordan
ECM Client L2 Engineer
Client Success & Smarter Support
IBM Analytic Platform, ECM

mj...@us.ibm.com
1-800-IBMSERV
Click to find information about IBM Smarter Support

ECM Software ServicesProduct & Lifecyle Notifications
ECM End Of Service (EOS)IBM Training Worldwide

Read our Support BlogFollow IBM Smarter Support on TwitterLike us on FacebookConnect with us in forumsConnect with us in CSE

Greg Thompson

Feb 11, 2021, 4:01:37 AM2/11/21
to Mark Jordan, Security-dev
Hi Mark. Please file a bug at https://new.crbug.com/ with as much information as possible. If you reply on this thread with the bug number, we may be able to triage it more quickly. Thanks.

Mark Jordan

Feb 11, 2021, 2:53:54 PM2/11/21
to Greg Thompson, Security-dev
Hi Greg -

All sorted!  I found the chromium bug reporting process after I sent this.  Thanks for the reply, though.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1171765

From:        Greg Thompson <g...@chromium.org>
To:        Mark Jordan <mj...@us.ibm.com>
Cc:        Security-dev <securi...@chromium.org>
Date:        02/11/2021 02:01 AM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: IBM Enterprise Content Management - Chrome 88 Issues downloading .eml files with mime type message/rfc822

Hi Mark. Please file a bug at...
This Message Is From an External Sender

Hi Mark. Please file a bug at https://new.crbug.com/with as much information as possible. If you reply on this thread with the bug number, we may be able to triage it more quickly. Thanks.

[attachment "noname" deleted by Mark Jordan/Salt Lake City/IBM]