Chrome auto-updates on Linux now, right?

Joe Mason

Dec 27, 2017, 1:27:29 PM12/27/17
to Security-dev
Sanity check, please:

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/turning-off-auto-updates says:

Google Chrome and Chromium are not auto-updated automatically on Linux; your package manager handles this.

I'm pretty sure my Chrome browser's been updating the same way on my Linux and Windows machines, but I'm not in front of them right now to double-check. This page is obsolete, right?

Joe

Michael Moss

Dec 27, 2017, 2:44:31 PM12/27/17
to Joe Mason, Security-dev
That statement is technically correct, although perhaps it could be worded better. It is the system package manager (apt, yum, etc.) that handles chrome updates on Linux. The confusion is that the system package manager is usually set to auto-update packages, so chrome auto-updates as well, but there is no separate update tool like on Windows and Mac.

Nina Bobo

Dec 16, 2023, 12:06:15 PM12/16/23
to Security-dev, Michael Moss, Security-dev, Joe Mason