List of accepted credit cards

Jared Rapp

Jun 26, 2013, 7:13:12 PM6/26/13
to requestau...@chromium.org
Hi All,

Just jumping in on the requestAutocomplete train and thought I'd share a thought I had today.

Our website currently accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.  I've seen that chrome will allow me to store a larger range of cards including Diner's Club cards.

If a user were to try to pay using requestAutocomplete and a Diner's Club card I'd have to wait for them to post the data then say, "Whoa buddy, we don't take Diner's Club cards here.. try again".

I could see a more fluid experience being my website signaling requestAutocomplete that I only accept Visa & MasterCard up front and then letting the web browser dialog help the user pick the correct card.

I really have no idea of how often this sort of mismatch will take place across the web or if it's in scope for the current iteration of the product, but I figured I'd mention it.

Thanks,

Jared

Albert Bodenhamer

Jun 26, 2013, 7:44:59 PM6/26/13
to Jared Rapp, requestautocomplete
Hi Jared,

Welcome to the list.

requestAutocomplete has an extra layer of validation on top of what autofill does.  At the moment it only supports Visa/MC/Amex/Discover.

We might add support for other cards in the future though or your site might not support the same set of cards we do, so it's still a problem.  We think the current validation is fine for V1, but we'll want to be more flexible in the future.  I've filed https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=254689 so we don't lose track of it.

One possibility would be to make the card type a select and a site could just list the cards it actually supports.  We could read the list and filter the available cards in the dialog.  That's just off the top of my head though so I'm not sure how viable it is.

Thanks.

Albert Bodenhamer | Software Engineer | abodenha@chromium.org

Jared Rapp

Jun 26, 2013, 8:02:49 PM6/26/13
to requestau...@chromium.org, Jared Rapp
Hi Albert,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you mean when you say that requestAutocomplete's 'extra layer of validation' only supports Visa/MC/Amex/Discover, but my original question stems from the fact that the chrome dev channel on windows currently supports me saving a Diner's Club card which then pops up in the list of useable cards during checkout on my site.

screenshot for clarity:

Thanks!,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Jared Rapp <jar...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Albert Bodenhamer | Software Engineer | abod...@chromium.org

Albert Bodenhamer

Jun 27, 2013, 1:59:07 PM6/27/13
to Jared Rapp, requestautocomplete
Hey Jared,

My mistake.  It also supports JCB and Diner's Club cards.  The type matching code lives at http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/components/autofill/core/browser/credit_card.cc

There's a discrepancy there though. There's several card types in the UI but it isn't an exhaustive list.  I'll need to look into that.

Thanks.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/requestautocomplete/.

--
Albert Bodenhamer | Software Engineer | abodenha@chromium.org