Flaky PyLint

Bruce Dawson

Nov 29, 2022, 5:05:57 PM11/29/22
to python
PyLint gets used in a lot of our presubmits but it is flaky. I just filed crbug.com/1394525 because the presubmit --all bot hit a flaky failure twice (out of hundreds of builds). I then forcibly turned off parallelism for PyLint and found that there are actually three abstract-method warnings that PyLint was missing most or all of the time.

I'm not sure what to do with this. I think that the PyLint parallelism does save time in some cases, but if it is missing a lot of issues and causing flakiness...

--
Bruce Dawson, he/him

Mike Frysinger

Nov 29, 2022, 7:17:08 PM11/29/22
to Bruce Dawson, python
i recall that pylint changes behavior based on the order of modules it processes.  so i bet you'd be able to reproduce by using different orders when invoking pylint.
-mike