Is addQuicHint still required?

Liang M.

Feb 8, 2022, 2:26:24 PM2/8/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Hi, I am a little bit confused by addQuicHint

That API made total sense in pre-http3 which advises if a host supports quic. Now given quic is standardized so the HTTP3 negotiation (thus Alt-svc), do we still have to call this API?

Thanks!

David Schinazi

Feb 8, 2022, 2:31:04 PM2/8/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
The purpose of addQuicHint is to use QUIC and HTTP/3 for the first request. Without addQuicHint, when the user first starts up their app it will use HTTP/2 or HTTP/1.1 to get Alt-Svc on the first request, then it will switch to HTTP/3 once it has received Alt-Svc.

David

Sotiris Nanopoulos

Jun 26, 2022, 9:45:16 PM6/26/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, dschina...@gmail.com
Hey folks,

An additional follow up regarding addQuicHint.

If I set this flag and then the server does not sent me back the `alt-svc` header but the QUIC connections succeeds will the next connection use H2/1 or H3 again?

Can I use this addQuicHint to "force" the client to use H3 with a server that doesn't advertise it?

Thanks!

Ian Swett

Jun 27, 2022, 9:34:41 AM6/27/22
to proto...@chromium.org, dschina...@gmail.com
On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 9:45 PM 'Sotiris Nanopoulos' via QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group <proto...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hey folks,

An additional follow up regarding addQuicHint.

If I set this flag and then the server does not sent me back the `alt-svc` header but the QUIC connections succeeds will the next connection use H2/1 or H3 again?

The client will continue to use H3 unless it receives an Alt-Svc value like 'clear', which indicates HTTP/3 is not supported or not supposed to be used.

Can I use this addQuicHint to "force" the client to use H3 with a server that doesn't advertise it?

It forces the client to try, and as long as the server doesn't do anything to stop it, it'll continue to use H3, as mentioned above.  But the API is there for priming the Alt-Svc cache for servers which do advertise it, not forcing it upon those which don't.

Thanks!