QUIC performing better in download intensive vs HICN performing better in real-time. Why ?

gaurav sinha

Nov 5, 2020, 1:23:21 AM11/5/20
to proto...@chromium.org
Hello,

I have one doubt.  The advantages of QUIC in comparison of HICN. As far as I know,  QUIC mainly targets download intensive application whereas HICN mostly focuses on real-time application like VOIP calling applications.

Why is there such a difference? Is there any key point i am missing?

 Any leads, answer will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav

Ian Swett

Nov 9, 2020, 1:46:09 PM11/9/20
to proto...@chromium.org
Is the HICN you're referring to this from Cisco?

There's nothing that makes QUIC a poor choice for VOIP and other real time applications, it's just a lack of application to those domains.  Now that QUIC v1 is almost an IETF standard, I expect that to change soon.

gaurav sinha

Nov 12, 2020, 12:54:53 AM11/12/20
to proto...@chromium.org
 Hello  all,

I meant  like I was trying to gain insights  for QUIC. Studying the  protocol  I found that  QUIC  mostly works for internet browsing or downloads.  Is there any real-time  application that uses QUIC as underlying protocols  in gaming or VOIP domain ?

As per the Cisco, HICN protocol mainly targets real-time application mentioned in one of there blogs.

Could you point me in the right direction?  Where can be reap benefits of QUIC and compare with similar protocols like HICN.

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurav

Srirama Nagaraj

Nov 12, 2020, 1:06:01 AM11/12/20
to proto...@chromium.org
Hi Gaurav,

Google Stadia internally uses QUIC
Not just Stadia, I'm guessing many such Google applications like Duo, Meet use QUIC as transport protocol.

Regards,
Sriram

howard liao

Mar 29, 2021, 12:26:40 AM3/29/21
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, gauravs...@gmail.com
as far as i know, google use QUIC for vod or webpage transportation. while Webrtc for other rtc production.