Youtube over QUIC

Luca De Cicco

Oct 16, 2013, 11:15:19 AM10/16/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Do you have evidence that QUIC is being used (experimentally) for streaming youtube videos?

Thanks,
Luca

Manoj Narayanan

Oct 16, 2013, 2:02:22 PM10/16/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Probably yes. I am able to see QUIC Sessions in Google Chrome (Version 32.0.1672.2 canary Aura in windows , with #enable-quic and #enable-quic-https turned on in chrome://flags/ ) when accessing youtube. I do connections to some specific youtube servers such as r4---sn-ci5gup-cage.c.youtube.com, but not sure how much of it is for streaming video content.

Pradeep Nayak

Oct 16, 2013, 3:21:22 PM10/16/13
to proto...@chromium.org
How are you confirming that those are quic sessions ? What tool are you using to verify this ?

Manoj Narayanan

Oct 17, 2013, 12:59:02 AM10/17/13
to proto...@chromium.org
You can see QUIC session by going to the net internals URL in chrome, ie type 'chrome://net-internals/#quic'

faried nawaz

Oct 24, 2013, 11:23:03 AM10/24/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Not only have I seen Youtube use QUIC, but also sites hosted on Google's infrastructure, like blog.golang.org, and a few *.appspot.com sites I tried.  Run

and look for the "Alternate-Protocol" header.

Try this Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/spdy-indicator/mpbpobfflnpcgagjijhmgnchggcjblin
The icon turns red when your browser uses QUIC.

Faried.

Qi Wang

Oct 24, 2013, 11:54:46 PM10/24/13
to proto...@chromium.org
I can see QUIC is used in Youtube, but do we know it is only for HTML page delivery, or also for video data delivery?

Luca De Cicco

Oct 25, 2013, 4:00:00 AM10/25/13
to proto...@chromium.org
You could easily check with tcpdump. Unfortunately I cannot check it myself.

Luca

Yoav Weiss

Oct 25, 2013, 4:04:11 AM10/25/13
to proto...@chromium.org

I've seen HTML5 YouTube videos over QUIC in the past. Flash based videos were over TCP, though.

Qi Wang

Oct 26, 2013, 9:12:06 PM10/26/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Thanks for the confirmation