Is it possible for multiple QUIC connections to use the same "UDP connection" simultaneously?

Nan Xiao

Jan 13, 2021, 10:22:10 PM1/13/21
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Hi all,

Greetings from me!

Maybe a stupid question: As QUIC uses connection ID to differentiate connections, is it possible for multiple QUIC connections to use the same "UDP connection" simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Nan Xiao

Srirama Nagaraj

Jan 14, 2021, 12:10:02 AM1/14/21
to proto...@chromium.org
Hi Nan
As you might know, a UDP connection is defined by <IP, port>. The whole idea around QUIC is to open a single connection for a given pair of <IP, port>
QUIC was never designed to have multiple connections for a given pair of <IP, port>
Moreover, the term "UDP connection" is itself ambiguous, as UDP is connectionless protocol.

Regards,
Srirama Nagaraj

Marten Seemann

Jan 14, 2021, 12:16:47 AM1/14/21
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
QUIC allows multiplexing connections on the same IP/Port. It is even possible to run multiple QUIC clients on the same IP:port a QUIC server is listening on. In fact, we do exactly that in libp2p.

puneet kumar

Jan 14, 2021, 12:17:16 AM1/14/21
to proto...@chromium.org
I think what he is asking is have different Connection IDs in a single QUIC connection (Which is already there) and then different QUIC connections using the same UDP pipeline.. I think you can get away with that but then you have to address what sriram mentioned.. someone distinguish each QUIC connection based on something instead of <IP, Port>

Nan Xiao

Jan 15, 2021, 3:57:54 AM1/15/21
to proto...@chromium.org
Hi Sriram, Marten and Puneet,

Thanks for all your responses!

Yes, my intention is to ask whether multiple QUIC connections can use
the same UDP pipeline, i.e., the same Client and Server <IP, Port>
pair simultaneously.

Best Regards
Nan Xiao