Suggestion about connection migration which makes it more generic

Tinker Tan

Dec 10, 2020, 8:47:43 PM12/10/20
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Hi,
As far as I know,  the connection migration in cronet relys on NetworkChangeNotifier which implemented in diffrent ways on each platform(Android or iOS).

It makes connection migration difficult to be widely used.Following reasons:
1. iOS hasn't implement NetworkChangeNotifier.
2. Android  OS >= Lollipop(5.0) implement NetworkChangeNotifier but still some phones under Lollopop.
3. For native usage, for example: quic_transport_client, quic_toy_client or app only use native cronet interface, they can't do connection migration.

And I have made some repairs which not rely on NetworkChangeNotifier or specific OS interface. It works well on iOS/Android. Connection migration has maintained a high success rate even on windows PC while switching network-interface.

So, would you consider to accept this generic solution for connection migration?

David Schinazi

Dec 11, 2020, 3:11:58 PM12/11/20
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Hi,

We'd love to find out more about how your proposal works.
Could you show us the code?

Thanks,
David

Tinker Tan

Dec 13, 2020, 8:17:35 PM12/13/20
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, dschina...@gmail.com
I'm glad to do it.
By the way,  Is my analysis about cronet correct? Does chromium have a plan to solve the problem before?

David Schinazi

Dec 13, 2020, 8:54:42 PM12/13/20
to Tinker Tan, QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Yes, your analysis is correct: connection migration currently relies on the NetworkChangeNotifier.

David