Question about connection migration feature

我好棒

Jul 7, 2022, 10:52:49 AM7/7/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Hi QUIC community,

I'm testing the connection migration feature of the QUIC protocol right now.

According to my understanding, the migration feature is that the connection ID won't change when the network condition changes. However, when I was streaming the DASH video, during the process of client handoff between two different Wi-Fi , the video will stuck, and the connection ID will change eventually.
After reading IETF draft, I checked if the server had received the PATH_CHALLENGE frames but ended up getting nothing.

QUIC server: built from https://www.chromium.org/quic/playing-with-quic/ source code
QUIC client: google - chrome (103.0.5060.114)
OS: Ubuntu 20.04

Besides, when I'm browsing YouTube which uses QUIC server, it will also change the connection ID when handoff, does it not implement the feature yet or its my own problem?

Thanks in advance !
Robert

Fan Yang

Jul 7, 2022, 11:28:52 AM7/7/22
to proto...@chromium.org
Hi Robert,
  According to RFC9000 section 9.5: "An endpoint that moves between networks might not wish to have their activity correlated by any entity other than their peer, so different connection IDs are used when sending from different local addresses".
  It would be good to understand why the server does not receive the packet of a changed connection ID. For example, are you running the server with multiple threads such that packets with changed connection ID may be received by a different thread. etc.

  Hope this helps, Fan

Fan Yang

Jul 7, 2022, 12:01:02 PM7/7/22
to proto...@chromium.org
Reminded by Ian, Chrome does not enable connection migration by default, so it is very possible the original connection gets disconnected and a new connection gets established when you change the interface. Please consider grabbing a net-log (https://www.chromium.org/for-testers/providing-network-details/) to confirm this.

我好棒

Jul 8, 2022, 4:18:58 AM7/8/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, fay...@chromium.org
Hi Fan,

  For the first response, does that mean the client is in the same session even though the different connection ID after the hand-off process? I have looked up the server source code, but I only saw thread-pool initiated but not used [1], I set the debug message at path challenge function, but never got called.
  As for the second response. Yes! I think the network re-established, the server will create new QuicSession obejct and assigned a new connection ID. The net-log can only show the connection ID after hand-off though. Do you know how to enable the connection migration feature, or any browser that can do the connection migration, I have been testing for a while, my goal is to stream DASH video seamlessly ( in a same session) when switching IP address.
  Thanks for the informative responses, really appreciate it, Robert.
fay...@chromium.org 在 2022年7月8日 星期五凌晨12:01:02 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:
quic_log_0708_v4.json

lalan kumar ram

Aug 16, 2022, 5:56:07 AM8/16/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, herone...@gmail.com
Hii
I have just started to work with QUIC, so could you please help me to execute the quic client and server code implemented in chromium?

with regards
Lalan