Extract Quic_Client and Quic_Server dependencies

Garrett Wahlstedt

Mar 2, 2023, 11:58:37 AM3/2/23
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
I have been working on the Quic_Client and Quic_Server and have made quite a few modifications and now I need to transfer my work somewhere else.

Does anyone know how I could extract the dependencies for these builds so that I do not have to transfer the entire 117 Gbs that is the depot_tools folder?

Any insight would be appreciated,
thanks,

Nick Harper

Mar 2, 2023, 1:23:57 PM3/2/23
to proto...@chromium.org
I'd try working with the quic code in https://quiche.googlesource.com/quiche/ instead of in chromium.

Garrett Wahlstedt

Mar 2, 2023, 1:39:46 PM3/2/23
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, Nick Harper
Thanks for letting me know about that, I definitely should have started with that rather than chromium. I do not see any build instructions for it though, do you know where I could find some?

Also if anyone has some input on my original goal that would be much appreciated as making all of the changes to the quiche build would take a significant amount of time.

Thanks.

Nick Harper

Mar 2, 2023, 2:53:02 PM3/2/23
to Garrett Wahlstedt, QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
The Google quiche repository is set up to be embedded in another project (e.g. chromium or envoy) and be built by that project. You can build using bazel (https://bazel.build/) - from the quiche repository, you can run "bazel build //quiche:quic_client" to build the quic client. However, the bazel build files are incomplete - there's no target to build for quic_server. You'll need to provide your own implementation of parts of the quiche platform api, e.g. in a clean checkout quic_client fails because there's no proof verifier provided. I'd suggest looking at chromium or envoy's use of quiche to find implementations that might work.

117GB sounds too large for a depot_tools checkout - on my machine it's less than 1GB. My chromium checkout is 72GB, so I'm assuming you're looking for ways to avoid needing all of chromium.