New teams, new lists

Rick Byers

Jul 14, 2017, 9:26:51 AM7/14/17
to platform-predictability, ecosyst...@chromium.org, feature...@chromium.org
We've been doing this "platform predictability" effort for awhile and now have a pretty good handle on what we think is most important to invest in long term.  So for Q3 we've spun up two new web platform teams in the chromium project (with their own public mailing lists) to provide long-term ownership over many of the projects created here:
  1. Ecosystem Infrastructure
    Mission: "Establish the infrastructure and culture that empower web platform engineers to make platform-wide changes with low friction".

    That is, the team invests specifically in cross-feature aspects of the "interoperability" piece of the predictability vision). This includes specifically improving tooling around web-platform-tests (within and outside chromium) as well as tooling in other spaces we think can help interoperability (API confluence, IDL conformance, etc.).

    This team (with a focus larger than just the chromium project) operates 100% in the open and is expected to always have some non-Google full-time members.
    ecosyst...@chromium.org (join), draft Q3 OKRs, TL:foolip, PM:dknox

  2. Feature control
    This team owns the infrastructure and APIs in chromium that control the exposure of APIs to the web and reports on when and how they are used (Origin trials, UseCounters, Feature Policy, Reporting API, etc.).  That is, it owns the cross-feature aspects of the "compatibility" and "foot guns" pieces of the predictability vision, as well as some of the "accelerate high-quality API design" aspects of the capabilities vision.

    Currently this team is staffed entirely by Google employees, but like other chromium teams most communication and work will be done in public.
    feature...@chromium.org (join), TL:chasej, PM:dknox
Please feel free to join the lists and participate in the discussion (and work!) if you're interested in these areas.

The broader "platform predictability" effort continues (still without any permanent dedicated staffing) as an overarching effort and strategy across chromium, as well as to incubate experimental new efforts (like our iOS web platform work).  We'll continue to use this list (platform-pr...@chromium.org) for discussions in that area, while trying to use the team-level lists for the most focused discussions of the individual team's projects.

Let me know if you've got any questions!  I'm excited to see the teams making this additional step towards realizing our vision for web platform predictability in a sustainable long-term fashion!
  Rick