Standardizing WebP file format?

Rick Byers

Jul 28, 2017, 4:04:27 PM7/28/17
to Mike Lawther, Alex Komoroske, Leon Scroggins, Alex Russell, platform-predictability
Can anyone point me to the history around the WebP format debates?  I was just talking to Patrick Ketner at Microsoft (interop PM) and he said this:

Specifically with WebP, we are kind of at a bit of an impasse. In order to implement, we really need it to be on some kind of standard track. The concern being us shipping an incompatible version if some kind of breaking change occurs, not to mention the patent protections that are provided by the w3c or similar groups. Would you have any insight into the possibility of google working on standardizing webp?

That made it sound to me like maybe there is some reasonable path for getting support in Edge?  Given that we're already granting IP rights is there any good reason why we wouldn't take the next step of having some standards group ratify it to appease the Microsoft (and presumably Apple) lawyers?  Otherwise it seems likely to remain not broadly supported indefinitely...

Thanks,
   Rick

Alex Komoroske

Jul 28, 2017, 4:30:13 PM7/28/17
to Rick Byers, Mike Lawther, Leon Scroggins, Alex Russell, platform-predictability, Mark Scott
[+ markdavidscott]

If I recall correctly WebP was driven by the media group, right?

Johnny Stenback

Jul 28, 2017, 6:21:44 PM7/28/17
to Alex Komoroske, Rick Byers, Mike Lawther, Leon Scroggins, Alex Russell, platform-predictability, Mark Scott, James Bankoski, Pascal Massimino
I found go/webp, which links to https://sites.google.com/a/google.com/snapshot/standardization-effort. Pascal Massimino seems to have been working on this, under James Bankoski, both cc:d.