Interop: sandboxed iframes VS pdf rendering implemented via plugin-or-not

luk...@chromium.org

Aug 21, 2018, 1:59:23 PM8/21/18
to platform-predictability
Hello,

It seems (https://crbug.com/866292) that sandboxed iframes behave differently in different browsers, depending on whether the given browser implements pdf rendering via a plugin or not (plugins are not allowed in sandboxed iframes).

QUESTION1: I marked the bug as Hotlist-Interop - is this sufficient to bring attention of interop-focused people to this bug (note that the bug has been WontFix-ed in the meantime)?

QUESTION2: Should I also open a spec bug somewhere?  Where?

Thanks,

Lukasz

Mark Dittmer

Aug 21, 2018, 9:52:38 PM8/21/18
to Lukasz Anforowicz, Philip Jägenstedt, Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability
Answered inline.

On Tue., Aug. 21, 2018, 1:59 p.m. , <luk...@chromium.org> wrote:
QUESTION1: I marked the bug as Hotlist-Interop - is this sufficient to bring attention of interop-focused people to this bug (note that the bug has been WontFix-ed in the meantime)?

That should do. +Philip Jägenstedt for good measure.

QUESTION2: Should I also open a spec bug somewhere?  Where?

I don't have the expertise to answer this one. +Domenic Denicola?

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 22, 2018, 5:05:25 AM8/22/18
to Mark Dittmer, Łukasz Anforowicz, Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 3:52 AM Mark Dittmer <markd...@chromium.org> wrote:
Answered inline.

On Tue., Aug. 21, 2018, 1:59 p.m. , <luk...@chromium.org> wrote:
QUESTION1: I marked the bug as Hotlist-Interop - is this sufficient to bring attention of interop-focused people to this bug (note that the bug has been WontFix-ed in the meantime)?

That should do. +Philip Jägenstedt for good measure.

I'm afraid there isn't anyone triaging issues that get newly labeled with Hotlist-Interop. It was initially looked at a bit more closely by rbyers@ and sshruthi@, but now that there are 1470 (!) issues labeled, it's not doing much.

It looks like 730 of the issues also have Via-Wizard-API, and for example crbug.com/876605 doesn't show it being added, so I wonder if it's being auto-added to a lot of issues.

PhistucK

Aug 22, 2018, 5:09:56 AM8/22/18
to Philip Jägenstedt, Mark Dittmer, Łukasz Anforowicz, Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability
It is added whenever the user indicates that other browsers do not have this issue, in the wizard.
I occasionally triage new interoperability issues based on this label (and remove it if I have to see someone funny, like Chrome extension related issues). I am subscribed to this label. I only pick ones that make me a bit curious, though. :P

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 22, 2018, 5:17:46 AM8/22/18
to PhistucK, Shruthi Sreekanta, Jeff Carpenter, Mark Dittmer, Łukasz Anforowicz, Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability
Ah, that would explain it. The string  "Does this work in other browsers? Yes" as a lot of overlap with the Hotlist-Interop label.

+Shruthi Sreekanta, was this part of the work that you did on the bug filing wizard?

+Jeff Carpenter FYI, this is the issue I was asking about in another thread.

PhistucK

Aug 22, 2018, 5:34:23 AM8/22/18
to Philip Jägenstedt, Shruthi Sreekanta, Jeff Carpenter, Mark Dittmer, Łukasz Anforowicz, Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability
By the way, I am not surprised by this number (1470) - the web has many edge case (as well as non edge case) interoperability issues.
Not only am I not surprised, I am sure it would have been a lot bigger (I rarely triage older issues, but the interoperability party is huge, the cops should definitely shut it down ;)).

PhistucK

Domenic Denicola

Aug 23, 2018, 2:53:31 PM8/23/18
to platform-predictability, luk...@chromium.org, foo...@chromium.org, dom...@chromium.org
I think we should open a spec bug on https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues. I'm not sure how we'll resolve it, but it'd be good to track, and discuss with other vendors.

Łukasz Anforowicz

Aug 23, 2018, 3:25:50 PM8/23/18
to Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability, foo...@chromium.org, Domenic Denicola

Shruthi Sreekanta

Aug 24, 2018, 1:31:21 PM8/24/18
to Philip Jägenstedt, PhistucK, jeff...@chromium.org, Mark Dittmer, luk...@chromium.org, dom...@chromium.org, platform-predictability
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 2:17 AM Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org> wrote:
Ah, that would explain it. The string  "Does this work in other browsers? Yes" as a lot of overlap with the Hotlist-Interop label.

+Shruthi Sreekanta, was this part of the work that you did on the bug filing wizard?

Yup, that's where the hotlist label comes from.  We did regular triage to nudge teams for a year or so, to get attention to those issues. Our hope was that would build enough momentum that teams would continue to focus on those, but it looks like it wasn't enough. Philip, do you want to own this, and we can work together to set up a more sustainable triage process for it? I can also help you clear out the backlog, as we get started, of course!

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 27, 2018, 11:50:49 AM8/27/18
to Shruthi Sreekanta, PhistucK, Jeff Carpenter, Mark Dittmer, Łukasz Anforowicz, Domenic Denicola, platform-predictability
On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:31 PM Shruthi Sreekanta <sshr...@google.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 2:17 AM Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org> wrote:
Ah, that would explain it. The string  "Does this work in other browsers? Yes" as a lot of overlap with the Hotlist-Interop label.

+Shruthi Sreekanta, was this part of the work that you did on the bug filing wizard?

Yup, that's where the hotlist label comes from.  We did regular triage to nudge teams for a year or so, to get attention to those issues. Our hope was that would build enough momentum that teams would continue to focus on those, but it looks like it wasn't enough. Philip, do you want to own this, and we can work together to set up a more sustainable triage process for it? I can also help you clear out the backlog, as we get started, of course!

Yes, as this is an existing signal of web developers telling us about interop problems, I'd like to see if we can get more value out of it than we seem to be. Looking at the unconfirmed/untriaged issues there are actually only 100+. Shruthi, let's discuss 1:1.