Mozilla / Google recurring web compat sync

Rick Byers

Jul 8, 2017, 10:19:50 AM7/8/17
to Michael Taylor, David Burns, platform-predictability, Dru Knox, Philip Jägenstedt
Hey guys,
A couple months ago Mike, Philip and I met to chat about the problems of web compat and interop and how we can best work together to improve the situation.  I promised to put together a doc outlining a plan and setup a recurring meeting, but some things got in the way and I haven't finished that yet, sorry :-(.

I think the most important thing is just that we're talking regularly about how we can best prioritize work between our two organizations with very aligned goals to have the maximum impact.  How about we just setup a monthly informal video conference for this and go from there?

Here's a doc with my initial rough notes on the structure I was thinking of based on our discussion with Mike.  Please feel free to edit arbitrarily.

I think it'll be most productive to have a small group of us, but we can share notes with a public list for broader discussion (I don't care where, platform-pr...@chromium.org is fine with me).

WDYT.  Should we try to find a time for this?  I know we chat (eg. on IRC) occasionally, but I'd find it valuable to have the forcing function of an occasional meeting to help us stay in touch with the real priorities/paint points from your side.

Thanks!
   Rick

Mike Taylor

Jul 12, 2017, 5:20:55 PM7/12/17
to Rick Byers, David Burns, platform-predictability, Dru Knox, Philip Jägenstedt
Hey Rick et al.,

On 7/8/17 9:19 AM, Rick Byers wrote:
> Hey guys,
> A couple months ago Mike, Philip and I met to chat about the problems of
> web compat and interop and how we can best work together to improve the
> situation. I promised to put together a doc outlining a plan and setup
> a recurring meeting, but some things got in the way and I haven't
> finished that yet, sorry :-(.
>
> I think the most important thing is just that we're talking regularly
> about how we can best prioritize work between our two organizations with
> very aligned goals to have the maximum impact. How about we just setup
> a monthly informal video conference for this and go from there?
>
> Here's a doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIUk5Y5_VmZ8rqHEsFEoXaysJUCRzf3RbvcyuYpim9c/edit#heading=h.4m9lc28yjt7>
> with my initial rough notes on the structure I was thinking of based on
> our discussion with Mike. Please feel free to edit arbitrarily.
>
> I think it'll be most productive to have a small group of us, but we can
> share notes with a public list for broader discussion (I don't care
> where, platform-pr...@chromium.org
> <mailto:platform-pr...@chromium.org> is fine with me).

Yep, that's fine with me as well.

> WDYT. Should we try to find a time for this? I know we chat (eg. on
> IRC) occasionally, but I'd find it valuable to have the forcing function
> of an occasional meeting to help us stay in touch with the real
> priorities/paint points from your side.

David is on PTO this week, so let's try to come up with a time when he's
back. But I'm very much looking forward to it.

(Relatedly, I'll be in Toronto the week of Aug 7th and we should grab
lunch again).

later,

--
Mike Taylor
Web Compat, Mozilla

Rick Byers

Jul 13, 2017, 1:12:47 PM7/13/17
to Mike Taylor, David Burns, platform-predictability, Dru Knox, Philip Jägenstedt
On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Mike Taylor <mi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
Hey Rick et al.,

On 7/8/17 9:19 AM, Rick Byers wrote:
> Hey guys,
> A couple months ago Mike, Philip and I met to chat about the problems of
> web compat and interop and how we can best work together to improve the
> situation.  I promised to put together a doc outlining a plan and setup
> a recurring meeting, but some things got in the way and I haven't
> finished that yet, sorry :-(.
>
> I think the most important thing is just that we're talking regularly
> about how we can best prioritize work between our two organizations with
> very aligned goals to have the maximum impact.  How about we just setup
> a monthly informal video conference for this and go from there?
>
> Here's a doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIUk5Y5_VmZ8rqHEsFEoXaysJUCRzf3RbvcyuYpim9c/edit#heading=h.4m9lc28yjt7>
> with my initial rough notes on the structure I was thinking of based on
> our discussion with Mike.  Please feel free to edit arbitrarily.
>
> I think it'll be most productive to have a small group of us, but we can
> share notes with a public list for broader discussion (I don't care

Yep, that's fine with me as well.

> WDYT.  Should we try to find a time for this?  I know we chat (eg. on
> IRC) occasionally, but I'd find it valuable to have the forcing function
> of an occasional meeting to help us stay in touch with the real
> priorities/paint points from your side.

David is on PTO this week, so let's try to come up with a time when he's
back. But I'm very much looking forward to it.

Sounds good, thanks.

(Relatedly, I'll be in Toronto the week of Aug 7th and we should grab
lunch again).

Right, absolutely - I'll follow-up offline.

David Burns

Jul 20, 2017, 1:08:31 PM7/20/17
to Rick Byers, Michael Taylor, platform-predictability, Dru Knox, Philip Jägenstedt
I am all for a monthly meeting!

I have joined the mailing list, it appears I wasnt on it so now I can have moar email :D

David

On 8 July 2017 at 15:19, Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hey guys,
A couple months ago Mike, Philip and I met to chat about the problems of web compat and interop and how we can best work together to improve the situation.  I promised to put together a doc outlining a plan and setup a recurring meeting, but some things got in the way and I haven't finished that yet, sorry :-(.

I think the most important thing is just that we're talking regularly about how we can best prioritize work between our two organizations with very aligned goals to have the maximum impact.  How about we just setup a monthly informal video conference for this and go from there?

Here's a doc with my initial rough notes on the structure I was thinking of based on our discussion with Mike.  Please feel free to edit arbitrarily.

I think it'll be most productive to have a small group of us, but we can share notes with a public list for broader discussion (I don't care where, platform-predictability@chromium.org is fine with me).

Dru Knox

David Burns

James Graham

Jul 20, 2017, 1:57:17 PM7/20/17
to Dru Knox, David Burns, Rick Byers, Michael Taylor, platform-predictability, Philip Jägenstedt
On 20/07/17 18:33, Dru Knox wrote:
> Awesome! Now that we have the compat hackathon planned for Aug 10th,
> perhaps we should use that as a kick-off? We can nail down a recurring
> structure there if that works for everyone!

I'm also happy to dial in to a recurring meeting, if you think that
would be useful.

Rick Byers

Jul 24, 2017, 2:28:14 PM7/24/17
to David Burns, Dru Knox, Michael Taylor, platform-predictability, Philip Jägenstedt, James Graham
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM, David Burns <dbu...@mozilla.com> wrote:
Unfortunately I can't be at the meeting but if there is opportunity for me to dial in I will :)

Oh yeah I totally wouldn't expect it to be worth it for anyone to fly out just for this.  Certainly we can make dial-in available for the presentations / meta-discussion if you all think it might be valuable.  I'm hoping we'll learn a bunch by muddling through real-world issues together that'll help us figure out how to get the most value out of an ongoing collaboration...