Release schedule for Cronet with Google Play Service

Cheng Han

Aug 30, 2023, 3:44:14 PM8/30/23
to net-dev
Hi team,

Sorry if I am not asking in the right group.

Recently there was a fix for enabling sending h3 for early requests https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1475845 . I'd like to know when the fix will be in the next Google Play service release.
We're currently using `com.google.android.gms:play-services-cronet:18.0.1`. Will there be a new version for cronet?

Thanks,
Cheng

Sebastian Poreba

Aug 30, 2023, 7:39:21 PM8/30/23
to Cheng Han, net-dev
Hi Cheng,

Currently Cronet release are blocked on a bug (which doesn't affect current M114 version). The next Google Play Services release will most likely be in October. I will update this thread when we have more confidence and a concrete date. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Cheng Han

Aug 31, 2023, 3:50:38 PM8/31/23
to Sebastian Poreba, net-dev
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the quick response!
We're targeting rolling out Cronet on android by the end of this year. But the fix is identified as a blocker. It would be late for us to wait given the next release timeline and users adoption.
While waiting for the new release, I'm not sure if I could use a separate and already released version of Cronet instead of waiting for bundling with google play service. Do you know if there is a similar release for Cronet? I am looking at this page, https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.chromium.net, not sure if there are alternatives to the same artifact we're currently using `com.google.android.gms:play-services-cronet:18.0.1`, and if there is an alternative, what would be the APK footprint?

Thanks,
Cheng

Sebastian Poreba

Sep 1, 2023, 8:10:37 AM9/1/23
to Cheng Han, net-dev
The alternative would be to bundle your own, newer Cronet until the issue is resolved. The API is the same so later change to Play Services Cronet is very straightforward.
The last version we released for this purpose is M113 - but you could build one yourself, or we could build one for you. The impact on the apk download size is about 3.7MB.
Still the bug we have would be there - you would need to make sure you don't use the QUIC connection migration. It is most likely that this doesn't affect you, as the options enabling it are not publicly documented yet.

--

  •  Sebastian Poręba
  •  Engineering Manager

Cheng Han

Sep 25, 2023, 10:23:20 AM9/25/23
to Sebastian Poreba, net-dev
Thanks Sebastian,

After discussing with the team, the APK size is a concern in terms of our APK budget this half. We will be waiting for the next release. Please let me know the release date whenever available so that I can work with server eng on our side to be ready for the ALPN change.

Thanks,
Cheng