What aspects can I conclude the benefit of upgrading Cronet v53 to lastest version from?

Berte Colin

Jun 25, 2021, 1:59:38 AM6/25/21
to net-dev
Hi,all:
       I read all the features from Chrome 53 to the latest version to find out changes of net stack,  as a result, most are about network security, one is tls1.3 enabled, and one is tls1.3 certificate compression using Brotli;

     Why none of feature relative to QUIC or HTTP,  So What aspects can I conclude the benefit of upgrading Cronet v53 to lastest version from?

Dan Stahr

Nov 8, 2021, 5:18:40 AM11/8/21
to net-dev, zhangzh...@gmail.com
TL;DR: Cronet is backwards compatible. You should always use the latest version.

Network security by itself is a major selling point - exposed security vulnerabilities cane pose a threat to your app and its users.

HTTP is a mature and stable protocol so it isn't surprising that you won't see a lot of development in the space. On the contrary, QUIC is evolving QUICly (https://quiche.googlesource.com/quiche/+log). Chromium / Cronet is using Quiche as its dependency, so by upgrading you'll automatically get all the numerous improvements and support of newer revisions of the QUIC protocol.

Last, if you reach out to the community with a version this old, the first suggestion will be to update to the latest version.