QUICHE BUILD rules?

mark a. foltz

Aug 24, 2023, 2:32:21 PM8/24/23
to net-dev, Wei4 Wang
Greetings QUIC maintainers,

Wei (external contributor) is working to build QUICHE in our library and I am trying to understand the quiche GN rules in Chromium.

quiche generates a .gni file with targets for core, tools, test support, etc.:

but Chromium ignores this file and has its own rules downstream:

- Why does Chromium GN have separate file lists and not use the .gni from quiche?
- How does Chromium's file list stay up to date across quiche rolls?

Any insights appreciated.
m.

David Benjamin

Aug 24, 2023, 2:48:38 PM8/24/23
to mark a. foltz, Victor Vasiliev, net-dev, Wei4 Wang

Patrick Meenan

Aug 24, 2023, 5:56:55 PM8/24/23
to David Benjamin, mark a. foltz, Victor Vasiliev, net-dev, Wei4 Wang
I can't answer the "why" part, but for "how", we have a quiche roll eng rotation where any changes (including build changes) that need to be made on the Chromium side are made when we do the roll.

Victor Vasiliev

Aug 24, 2023, 6:55:03 PM8/24/23
to Patrick Meenan, David Benjamin, mark a. foltz, net-dev, Wei4 Wang
Historical reasons.  The BUILD.gn file in Chromium predates the autogenerated file in the QUICHE repo.  I was planning to switch the Chromium build files to use the autogenerated one in QUICHE (provided that it works), but never got around to it.

mark a. foltz

Aug 25, 2023, 1:59:22 PM8/25/23
to Victor Vasiliev, Patrick Meenan, David Benjamin, net-dev, Wei4 Wang
Got it.  Wei has found the file lists are slightly different.  I can try putting up a patch and see if anything breaks.