enabling recvmmsg() in quiche on android?

Mukesh Agrawal

Jan 26, 2024, 6:31:03 PMJan 26
to net...@chromium.org
[please forgive the collision between my user id, and the
networking library that chromium uses. to avoid confusion:
all references to "quiche" in this message refer to the library,
not myself!]

hi chromium net-devs,

i would like to modify the QUIC implemention in quiche, to
make use of the `recvmmsg()` call when running on
android devices.

this would improve performance for chromium, and other
users of the quiche library. in particular, for bulk transfers,
the change would reduce the number of syscalls by a
factor of 16.

the quiche maintainers are open to the change, but they
asked me to check for impacts on projects that integrate
their library.

one of the developers on the blink networking team told me
that enabling `recvmmsg()` is more complicated for chromium
vs. other integrators of quiche, because chromium has its
own udp code.

i'd like to learn more about what would be involved here,
to understand how feasible this is.

of course, i'd like to hear any other concerns you might have
about this change as well.

thanks much!
mukesh

Mukesh Agrawal

Feb 2, 2024, 4:14:15 PMFeb 2
to net...@chromium.org
bumping this message to see if there are any concerns.
please chime in by next friday (feb 9th) if there are. :-)

thanks!

Ryan Hamilton

Feb 2, 2024, 5:08:09 PMFeb 2
to Mukesh Agrawal, net...@chromium.org
[I think there are two threads on this topic, so replying in both places]

If you want to use recvmmsg in Chrome/cronet, you'll need to change the Chrome socket implementation not the QUICHE one. (Chrome does not use the QUICHE implementation). I agree with your assessment that adding support for recvmmsg() is low risk, but we just need to do the implementation in a different place.

Cheers,

Ryan