Question about useBuiltInDnsResolver

Gundaz Aghayev

Oct 15, 2023, 10:43:46 AM10/15/23
to net...@chromium.org
Hello, Gundaz here.

I am wondering if I can customize DNS servers used in cronet in my Android application, instead of using system DNS. I found this option:

org.chromium.net.DnsOptions.builder.useBuiltInDnsResolver

But I cannot find anything like a hardcoded DNS server list etc, even in source code[1]. So what is this BuiltIn Dns Resolver and can it be modified?

---

Eric Orth

Oct 16, 2023, 11:10:45 AM10/16/23
to Gundaz Aghayev, net...@chromium.org
I believe that option is equivalent to this group policy: https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#BuiltInDnsClientEnabled

In summary: It controls whether or not Chrome uses its own logic to query DNS.  It does not control what DNS servers are used (still uses the configuration from the system resolver), so it doesn't sound like it does what you were hoping.

I don't believe Chrome offers a way to select specific DNS servers except through configuring DNS-over-HTTPS, and I am not familiar with what Cronet offers for changing that configuration.

Gundaz Aghayev

Oct 16, 2023, 7:42:53 PM10/16/23
to Eric Orth, net...@chromium.org
OK, so I would stick to DoH if I want to customizes DNS settings.

However, it seems there’s no way to specify DoH URL in current cronet, as I did a search for ‘DnsOverHttps’ inside cronet source code directory and nothing returned.