Update on MiraclePtr project

Keishi Hattori

Nov 11, 2022, 4:45:58 AM11/11/22
to memory-s...@chromium.org
Hi memory-safety-dev@!

We recently posted a blog post detailing the benefits and tradeoffs of MiraclePtr. Next week, we will have a lightning talk titled "Quick Update on MiraclePtr" at BlinkOn 17. It touches on the current status and future roadmap, so let me share the contents here too.

Summary
  • MiraclePtr has been launched for Windows and Android. They are enabled for all processes except the renderer process. 60% of all UaF security issues since April have been protected by MiraclePtr.
  • Performance/memory overhead of MiraclePtr is inline with our predictions prior to launch.
  • We are working to support other platforms. (experiments are running)
  • We are working on increasing protection coverage and improving debuggability
Best regards,
Keishi Hattori
Google, Chrome Memory Tokyo Team