Interventions: updates since 4/11/2017

kenji...@chromium.org

Apr 17, 2017, 7:10:22 PM4/17/17
to interventio...@chromium.org
This email has been automatically sent by a script (got feedback?)
What are interventions?
An Intervention is when a Browser opts for:
  • an intentional deviation from a behavior that developers expect and/or rely on,
  • which is motivated by the desire to fulfill an important user need.
Because of its nature, it must be done sparingly and with extreme care to not only achieve but also sustain a positive outcome.

Updates for interventions since 4/11/2017

ignore clicks on iframes that have moved in the last XXms
Engineer(s): aj...@google.com
Status as of 4/12/2017
Prototype still needs more testing and debugging (and OOPIF still isn't handled). Looking for a new owner since I'm transitioning to a new team.
Next Steps:
Find a new owner
Link(s): implementation

Make background tab throttling more aggressive
Engineer(s): skyo...@google.com, alt...@google.com
Status as of 4/12/2017
Shipped! Enabled on 99% of Stable, metrics suggest ~25% reduction in background tab power usage
Next Steps:
Monitor incoming bug reports (if any) and adjust intervention (if needed).
Link(s): spec/discussion implementation

Defer cross-origin iframe loads until they are viewable (add a lazyload attribute to give developer control?)
Engineer(s): be...@google.com
Status as of 4/11/2017
prototyping
Next Steps:
evaluate prototype, write design doc
Link(s): spec/discussion implementation

lofi++: range requests for getting image dimensions
Engineer(s): be...@google.com
Status as of 4/12/2017
Still finishing implementation. New target of M60.
Next Steps:
quality review and L-R once implementation completes.
Link(s): implementation

Full details for all the interventions can be found at bit.ly/proposed-interventions.
See also, WICG interventions: a place for browsers to collaborate on browser interventions.
Tell us how useful these updates are and how we could improve them by sharing your feedback.