PSA: pylint changes in depot_tools, affecting some presubmit checks

'Josip Sokcevic' via infra-announce

Jun 2, 2022, 5:53:38 PM6/2/22
to infra-a...@chromium.org, chops-so...@google.com

TL;DR

We are officially deprecating pylint 1.5 in depot_tools. pylint-2.7 will be the new default pylint version. You can opt-in to use pylint 1.5 until its full removal on 2022-07-11.

Hi all,

The last release of pylint 1.5 was in 2016 and it's not compatible with python3. In the past several quarters, we made significant progress to migrate everything to python3. As part of those efforts, we also asked users to move from pylint 1.5 to pylint 2.6 (bugs).

Today, we are officially announcing that pylint 1.5 is deprecated and should no longer be used. You can expect to see warnings once your depot_tools is updated (you can manually update by calling update_depot_tools script). You can opt-in to use version 2.7 now by passing version='2.7' when calling input_api.canned_checks.GetPylint.

On 2022-06-13, we will make pylint-2.7 the default version. This will affect all GetPylint that don't specify the pylint version. If your presubmit checks break because of this change, you can change presubmit to use pylint-1.5 by passing version='1.5' when calling input_api.canned_checks.GetPylint. We will be removing pylint-1.5 on 2022-07-11. Therefore, you will need to update your codebase to be pylint-2.7 compatible before pylint-1.5 is completely removed, otherwise your presubmit check will start to fail. You can remove the pylint presubmit check as a last resort.

If you encounter any bugs, please file them under Infra>SDK.

Thanks,

Gavin and Josip, on behalf of Chops Source

'Josip Sokcevic' via infra-announce

Apr 28, 2023, 6:32:01 PM4/28/23
to infra-a...@chromium.org, chops-so...@google.com
Hi everyone,

pylint-1.5 will be removed from depot_tools on Tuesday, May 2nd.

Best,

--
Josip Sokcevic