How to find the right version of depot_tools to build a given version of Chrome or ChromeOS?

Richard Yeh

Feb 18, 2021, 11:10:17 PM2/18/21
to infra-dev
I am attempting a large bisect where I need to build Chrome at each version. I'm encountering error messages that don't find many search results, perhaps because I am using the latest depot_tools on a six-month-old (or older) chromium checkout --- an unlikely combination.

How can I find the right version of depot_tools to build a given version of Chrome or ChromeOS?  I could guess based on commit dates in depot_tools and Chrome/ChromeOS build dates; but I was wondering if there might be a better way, perhaps with a system of tags or a mapping file?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard Yeh

Feb 18, 2021, 11:26:27 PM2/18/21
to infra-dev, Richard Yeh
The error I'm chasing down is: in my ~/chromium/src directory, I did `git checkout 86.0.4187.0` and then attempted to `gn gen out_${BOARD}/Release`:

```
gn gen out_${BOARD}/Release
ERROR at //build/config/BUILDCONFIG.gn:401:1: set_sources_assignment_filter argument must be an empty list.
set_sources_assignment_filter(sources_assignment_filter)
^------------------------------------------------------
```

Takuto Ikuta

Feb 19, 2021, 12:06:21 AM2/19/21
to Richard Yeh, infra-dev
Did you run gclient sync after checkout?
I think the latest depot_tools is supposed to handle some old revision like 6 months ago.

Richard Yeh

Feb 19, 2021, 12:35:38 AM2/19/21
to Takuto Ikuta, infra-dev
Thank you! You're right, `gclient sync` is just what I needed.

Dirk Pranke

Feb 19, 2021, 4:06:16 PM2/19/21
to Richard Yeh, Takuto Ikuta, infra-dev
For the record, the issue here isn't actually that your depot_tools version was too recent, it was that your chromium dependencies weren't in sync, and you were getting a newer version of GN than you should've been using. GN is a chromium dependency, and running `gclient sync` made all of the chromium dependencies align with the version of your checkout.

-- Dirk