headless=new and other questions

Wells Caughey

Mar 28, 2024, 5:42:44 PMMar 28
to headless-dev
Hi everyone,

I am new to chromium headless mode and had a couple of questions:
  1. When you use the C++ interface, you are building a library that contains all of Chromium (including browser, renderer, and gpu) right?  The C++ interface isn't just a wrapper over the DevTools protocol and it wouldn't launch a chrome instance already installed on your machine, right?
  2. How does the "new headless"mode change all of this (https://developer.chrome.com/docs/chromium/new-headless)?  Does this new mode only apply to the CDP method of interacting with headless chrome, does it also apply the C++ method, or will the C++ method be deprecated and only the CDP method be supported in the future?
Thanks,
Wells

Andrey Kosyakov

Mar 28, 2024, 8:11:28 PMMar 28
to Wells Caughey, headless-dev
Hi Wells,

C++ API for headless is indeed deprecated (and has been for a while), we recommend only using CDP to talk to headless. With CDP, the difference between old and new headless is reduced roughly down to chrome-specific subset of CDP, and, of course, the features that chrome adds on top of the web platform. CDP also enables you to do development (or, at least, prototyping) in languages other than C++.

Best regards,
Andrey.

Message has been deleted