Currently, most HTMLImageElement formats (e.g. JPEG / WebP / AVIF) focus on getting smaller size to download faster.
Previously, the limitations of texture compression formats may:
1. gpu raster is required;
2. different platforms support different texture compression formats;
3. some old formats (e.g. ETC2) are not smaller enough;
1. gpu raster is enabled by default;
2. Basis Universal compression technology introduced in KTX2 can cross platform;
3. ETC1S / ASTC can get smaller size.
If HTMLImageElement supports texture compression formats, can reduce 75%~97% memory and some decoding time (or no decoding at all), then reduce power consumption.
I have tried integrated KTX-Software into chromium locally. It works well on Android.
So does it make sense to support KTX2 texture compression format?