origin of chrome gpu page

Ranen Ghosh

May 28, 2024, 1:12:56 PMMay 28
to Graphics-dev
Hello, I'm trying to debug some issues we have where Dawn/webgpu is behaving differently on the same device when compiling to native windows vs compiling to wasm.  One line of inquiry is whether the Dawn configuration is different in each case.

https://dawn.googlesource.com/dawn/+/refs/heads/main/src/dawn/native/Toggles.h

To investigate this it would help if someone could point me to where the "chrome://gpu" page originates from in the chrome codebase (I'm particularly interested in the "Dawn Info" section)

Ranen Ghosh

May 28, 2024, 1:29:09 PMMay 28
to Graphics-dev, Ranen Ghosh
Hi, FYI I found the code using chromium codesearch, and we found the reason for the difference: when using Dawn in native windows, the toggle UseDXC / use_dxc is not enabled, but in Chrome, it is enabled.  For a basic windows ec2 instance with no GPU, if this toggle is enabled, some rendering (like WebGPU samples "Hello Triangle" and "Textured Cube") don't render correctly, but if we force it disabled in chrome by using the browser argument --disable-daw-features=use_dxc, then we don't have the problem.

Kai Ninomiya

May 28, 2024, 2:42:38 PMMay 28
to Ranen Ghosh, Dawn Graphics, Graphics-dev, Ranen Ghosh
+Dawn Graphics (and bcc internal list in case there's anyone there who wouldn't otherwise get this email)