How is HDR implemented?

Rik Cabanier

Mar 9, 2023, 11:17:29 AM3/9/23
to Graphics-dev
Is there any documentation how HDR and wide colorspaces are implemented in chromium?
What is needed from the android side to have this supported?

Dale Curtis

Mar 10, 2023, 3:41:59 PM3/10/23
to Rik Cabanier, Vasiliy Telezhnikov, Graphics-dev
gfx::ColorSpace and gfx::ColorTransform handle the lifting when Chrome is compositing. Otherwise we try to pass on gfx::HDRMetadata in some form to the OS compositor. For a long time Android hasn't had the APIs to handle anything other than tunneled HDR. I think in recent Android versions it's possible though. +Vasiliy Telezhnikov

- dale

Rik Cabanier

Mar 14, 2023, 12:32:32 AM3/14/23
to Dale Curtis, Vasiliy Telezhnikov, Graphics-dev
Thanks!
Is the surface that you draw into not HDR then? What is tunneled HDR?

Dale Curtis

Mar 14, 2023, 12:02:27 PM3/14/23
to Rik Cabanier, Vasiliy Telezhnikov, Graphics-dev

I defer to Vasilliy, HDR video playback works, but I'm not sure if that's only for SurfaceControl or also with SurfaceTexture, etc.

- dale

Rik Cabanier

Mar 14, 2023, 12:44:37 PM3/14/23
to Vasiliy Telezhnikov, Dale Curtis, Graphics-dev
Thanks for the information! That helps.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 9:38 AM Vasiliy Telezhnikov
<vtelez...@google.com> wrote:

> Right now Chrome on Android only supports HDR for videos and only if they are displayed as overlays via SurfaceControl. Requires Android S+.
> We're working on full HDR support, but it's not there yet.
>
> - Vasiliy

Vasiliy Telezhnikov

Mar 14, 2023, 1:15:55 PM3/14/23
to Dale Curtis, Rik Cabanier, Graphics-dev
Right now Chrome on Android only supports HDR for videos and only if they are displayed as overlays via SurfaceControl. Requires Android S+.
We're working on full HDR support, but it's not there yet.

- Vasiliy

Rik Cabanier

May 13, 2024, 4:25:19 PMMay 13
to Vasiliy Telezhnikov, Dale Curtis, Graphics-dev
Hi Vasiliy,

Was there any progress on HDR for Android?

Vasiliy Telezhnikov

May 14, 2024, 1:54:58 PMMay 14
to Rik Cabanier, Dale Curtis, Graphics-dev
HDR should work now on Android U+ if the device reports HDR support.

- Vasiliy

Rik Cabanier

May 14, 2024, 4:20:23 PMMay 14
to Vasiliy Telezhnikov, Dale Curtis, Graphics-dev
Thank you!