Re: [chromium-discuss] Re: Chromium should support Dynamic Refresh Rate for Windows 11

Ken Russell

Aug 25, 2022, 1:43:47 PM8/25/22
to michael....@microsoft.com, graphics-dev, Chromium-discuss
+graphics-dev

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. I think that the Chrome Graphics team would be interested in upstreaming this work. graphics-dev@ is the best targeted alias to reach these folks.

-Ken

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 3:49 PM 'Michael Von Hippel' via Chromium-discuss <chromium...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hey Chromium team, pinging this thread to see if there is any interest in upstreaming this feature from Edge? From the Microsoft Windows side, we're very interested in getting more users enjoying smooth 120Hz interactions.

Thanks,

-Michael

On Friday, August 12, 2022 at 9:17:52 AM UTC-7 Michael Von Hippel wrote:
Windows introduced Dynamic Refresh Rate in Windows 11 so that users of high refresh rate screens on laptops and tablets can save power while getting smooth experiences  Dynamic refresh rate – Get the best of both worlds - DirectX Developer Blog (microsoft.com).

Since introduction of this feature, Edge has built support for Dynamic Refresh Rate under the flag "edge://flags/#edge-refresh-rate-boost-on-scroll." We would like Chromium to upstream this change from Edge so that users can get this smooth scrolling experience on their favorite flavors of Chromium browsers.

Thanks,

-Michael

Zhenyao Mo

Aug 25, 2022, 2:23:05 PM8/25/22
to michael....@microsoft.com, Kenneth Russell, graphics-dev, Chromium-discuss, Francois Pierre Doray, Chris Hamilton, Etienne Pierre-Doray, Olivier Li, Anthony Vallee-Dubois
Michael,

Let's set up a meeting to discuss this. Please send me a list of folks
on Microsoft side who should join this discussion and also a few
candidate time slots (both pacific and east time zone friendly). I'll
try to set up a meeting.

Mo

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 10:48 AM Anthony Vallee-Dubois
<anth...@chromium.org> wrote:

> + a few people potentially interested in the power savings aspect of this.

Michael Von Hippel

Aug 25, 2022, 5:00:16 PM8/25/22
to Zhenyao Mo, Kenneth Russell, graphics-dev, Chromium-discuss, Francois Pierre Doray, Chris Hamilton, Etienne Pierre-Doray, Olivier Li, Anthony Vallee-Dubois
Thanks for all the interest!

@Zhenyao Mo <z...@chromium.org> I'll collect a list of our Microsoft stakeholders and get the times to you to schedule the meeting so we can share more details there.

-Michael

Aug 25, 2022, 5:00:28 PM8/25/22
to Anthony Vallee-Dubois, k...@chromium.org, michael....@microsoft.com, graphics-dev, Chromium-discuss, Chris Hamilton, Etienne Pierre-Doray, Olivier Li
Hi Michael,

What does the integration of Dynamic Refresh Rate look like? Does it mean that Chrome must tell Windows what the user is doing so that an appropriate refresh rate can be selected?

François

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 1:48 PM Anthony Vallee-Dubois <anth...@chromium.org> wrote:
+ a few people potentially interested in the power savings aspect of this.

Anthony Vallee-Dubois

Aug 25, 2022, 5:00:32 PM8/25/22
to k...@chromium.org, michael....@microsoft.com, graphics-dev, Chromium-discuss, Francois Pierre Doray, Chris Hamilton, Etienne Pierre-Doray, Olivier Li, Anthony Vallee-Dubois
+ a few people potentially interested in the power savings aspect of this.

Chris Hamilton

Aug 26, 2022, 1:04:26 PM8/26/22
to Anthony Vallee-Dubois, Mark Chang, Kenneth Russell, michael....@microsoft.com, graphics-dev, Chromium-discuss, Francois Pierre Doray, Etienne Pierre-Doray, Olivier Li
This looks mostly to be about temporarily *boosting* the frame rate while scrolling, so that you get both the long-term battery savings of reduced frame-rate *and* the smooth scrolling 120Hz rendering? Seems like something that we'd be interested in generally, yes.

+Mark Chang as PM of some related efforts who might be interested.

Cheers,

Chris