Do Chromium logs contain information related to WebGL context lost events?

Michael Hagar

Feb 21, 2024, 6:44:39 PMFeb 21
to Graphics-dev
I'm investigating an issue with a web application that uses WebGL. We sometimes see Web GL context lost events, and would like more information about why a particular context lost event occurred. Is there any information revealed in either the statusMessage property of the event (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebGLContextEvent/statusMessage), or does Chromium otherwise log this information to its own logs?

Ken Russell

Feb 21, 2024, 6:58:33 PMFeb 21
to Michael Hagar, Graphics-dev
Hi Michael,

Chromium doesn't do a good job providing additional details in the webglcontextlost event. This should hopefully be a rare event and will typically only happen if Chromium's GPU process crashes, or if a GPU hang occurs and the system recovers. In these cases you can ask the user to gather the contents of Chromium's about:gpu page and see if anything in the logs points to a root cause. If the context losses are repeatable then please file a bug on crbug.com under the "Chromium > Blink > WebGL" component with a test case and the output of about:gpu from an affected machine.

Thanks,

-Ken