how to specify the program that opens the file args.gn when `gn args ...`

Zhanbang He

May 4, 2023, 9:55:48 PM5/4/23
to gn-dev
hi alll,
The default associated program for txt file on Windows 10 in my computer is not working well for gn. So I want to specify the program, but I have found nothing on the webpage GN Reference to implement that.

David Turner

May 5, 2023, 3:26:10 AM5/5/23
to Zhanbang He, gn-dev
On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 3:55 AM Zhanbang He <hezha...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi alll,
The default associated program for txt file on Windows 10 in my computer is not working well for gn. So I want to specify the program, but I have found nothing on the webpage GN Reference to implement that.

Zhanbang He

May 5, 2023, 6:45:07 AM5/5/23
to gn-dev, di...@google.com, gn-dev, Zhanbang He
I said previously is not accurate enough.
Currently the program associated with the txt file in my computer is notepad++.exe, not the Microsoft's official default notepad.exe.
So it is not a Windows issue.

Brett Wilson

May 5, 2023, 10:44:28 AM5/5/23
to Zhanbang He, gn-dev, di...@google.com
GN opens the editor associated with .txt files for "gn args". If you want to use another editor, just open it manually yourself. GN always prints the path to the file it opens to hopefully make this file and its location more obvious to users.

Brett