Linking against a lib.(a|so) generated by an action target

Salman Malik

Mar 9, 2023, 9:34:59 AM3/9/23
to gn-...@chromium.org
Hi,

I am trying to link against a library in third party that is compiled and .a|.so generated with an action target (this library was using a meson build system so I created an action script to generate the lib).
I got it to work by providing `lib_dirs` that point to the path where the library is put after compilation and then using `libs` directive to tell GN to link against the library name.

The problem with this approach is that when I specify `lib_dirs`, another library that was already being linked with the target stops working i.e. symbol lookups for this existing/previously used library stops working.
Again, I got this to work by adding another entry in `lib_dirs` pointing to the path where this system library is installed but this seems fragile since this system library might be installed in a different path in a different arch/setup.
(Aside: Specifying `lib_dirs` causing other libs to break seems like a bug in GN?).

What is the recommended way of linking against a generated third party lib?
Appreciate the guidance here.

PS: Another related bug I filed while working on this: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1422716 (It has pointer to the CL as well in case someone is interested in looking at the code)

Thanks,
Salman

Brett Wilson

Mar 9, 2023, 11:15:20 AM3/9/23
to Salman Malik, gn-...@chromium.org
I haven't done this myself, but you might try to just put the full path to the library in the "libs" variable and not set lib_dirs. There is some special handling (see "gn help libs") for libs that have a slash in them, so this may work.

Brett

Salman Malik

Mar 9, 2023, 11:18:44 AM3/9/23
to Brett Wilson, gn-...@chromium.org
Thanks, Brett! I did exactly that but ran into the reported issue: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1422716 where the target action (that has been placed in public deps) is probably getting executed after the attempt to locate the path in "libs".

Salman

Brett Wilson

Mar 9, 2023, 12:35:28 PM3/9/23
to Salman Malik, gn-...@chromium.org