Decreasing FLEDGE API origin trial to 4% on Chrome Stable

Kevin Lee

Jan 20, 2023, 4:55:30 PM1/20/23
to FLEDGE API announcements

Hello testers,

As part of a Chrome regression investigation, we will temporarily reduce the FLEDGE origin trial traffic from 5% to 4% of Chrome Stable from January 26th 2023. Origin trial traffic for Canary, Dev, and Beta will not be affected. We estimate the investigation will take about a month, and we will notify you when the traffic is ramped back up.

This change will happen automatically, and will not impact your existing origin trial tokens. For the users in the 1% traffic that have been ramped down, the interest group will remain in their browsers. The same users will be part of the ramp back up, and their interest groups can be reused. However, the interest groups expire in 30 days, and the regression investigation may take longer than that.

Learn how you can experiment with FLEDGE from the Privacy Sandbox unified origin trials article.

Julien Aimonino (CRITEO, Product Manager)

Jan 26, 2023, 4:56:43 AM1/26/23
to FLEDGE API announcements, Kevin Lee

Hi,

Could Chrome confirm:

  • what is the symptom of the regression
  • what is the envisaged fix
  • how this could impact testers
  • if other APIs might be affected

At this stage can we consider that FLEDGE is working as before for the remaining 4% ?

As your investigations progress and a fix is being implemented we would appreciate being informed of possible consequences for testers.

Best regards.

Alonso Velasquez

Jan 27, 2023, 2:03:13 PM1/27/23
to FLEDGE API announcements, Julien Aimonino (CRITEO, Product Manager), Kevin Lee
Hi Julien,

Alonso Velasquez here, Product Manager on FLEDGE Chrome. Thanks for asking, please see below for answers:
  • what is the symptom of the regression

Our team monitors anonymous health metrics, and observed some Chrome browser instances within the origin trial experiencing slower performance. Given that, we are investigating what may be contributing to that outcome. It will take a few weeks to determine.

  • what is the envisaged fix

We don’t yet know the cause, and it will take a few weeks to determine. Once we better understand the results of the investigation and any fix needed, we’ll provide an update on this list.

  • how this could impact testers

We are observing some browser instances within the origin trial experiencing slower performance. This was not due to browser stability (e.g., crashes). Continue to run FLEDGE as usual, as live, production auctions help accelerate identifying the source and potential solution. We’ll provide updates on the FLEDGE API Announce distribution list as we learn more, so we encourage you to monitor that thread for the latest updates.

  • if other APIs might be affected

FLEDGE is currently the only API being ramped down. Other APIs included in the Privacy Sandbox Relevance and Measurement origin trial will remain at their respective traffic levels. If anything changes, we’ll provide updates on the respective API announce distribution lists for FLEDGE, Topics, Attribution Reporting, and Shared Storage

  • At this stage can we consider that FLEDGE is working as before for the remaining 4% ?
Yes.

Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Regards,

Alonso Velasquez