Issue 1498938 in chromium: Download bubble flag disappears

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 3, 2023, 6:25:08 AM11/3/23
to flag...@chromium.org
Updates:
Cc: chl...@chromium.org
Components: UI>Browser>Downloads
Labels: Triaged-ET

Comment #2 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c2

@chlily: Could you please provide your inputs on this issue as flags are deprecated, Adding into cc list

Thanks..!

1. You are auto-CC'd on all issues in component Internals>Flags

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

chlily via monorail

Nov 3, 2023, 10:28:16 AM11/3/23
to flag...@chromium.org
Updates:
Components: -UI>Browser>Downloads

Comment #3 on issue 1498938 by chl...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c3

This appears to be an issue with the flags UI, not the functionality of the download-bubble flag itself.

enzarsoriano.tech via monorail

Nov 3, 2023, 1:15:34 PM11/3/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #4 on issue 1498938 by enzarsor...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c4

I agree with you chily. I successfully enabled the 'download bubble' flag by adding '--process-per-site' to chrome's shortcut properties under the target tab.

However, that was only a workaround to enable the said flag. It will be better if we can fix the issue with the flags UI.

enzarsoriano.tech via monorail

Nov 3, 2023, 1:16:58 PM11/3/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #5 on issue 1498938 by enzarsor...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c5

ERRATUM:

It wasn't the '--process-per-site' i added.

To enable: --enable-features=DownloadBubble
To disbale: --disable-features=DownloadBubble

enzarsoriano.tech via monorail

Nov 3, 2023, 1:18:54 PM11/3/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #6 on issue 1498938 by enzarsor...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c6

I agree with you chily. I successfully enabled the 'download bubble' flag by adding '--enable-features=DownloadBubble' to chrome's shortcut properties under the target tab.

However, that was only a workaround to enable the said flag. It will be better if we can fix the issue with the flags UI.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 6, 2023, 7:06:21 AM11/6/23
to flag...@chromium.org
Updates:
Labels: FoundIn-119 FoundIn-120 FoundIn-121 RegressedIn-119 Target-121 M-121 OS-Linux OS-Mac OS-Windows Pri-1 Type-Bug-Regression

Comment #7 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c7

Able to reproduce the issue on latest chrome version 119.0.6045.106 using Windows 11 as per steps in comment#0.

Reproducible:
===========
Canary- 121.0.6110.0
Dev - 120.0.6090.0
Beta - 120.0.6099.5
Stable - 119.0.6045.106

Bisect Information:
---------------------------------
Good Build: 118.0.5993.135
Bad Build: 119.0.5994.0

Note: Issue reproducible in Linux Debian and Mac.

Note: Unable to provide the bisect information, issue reproducible on branch cut.

Setting status to untriaged and requesting someone from the respective dev team to look into this and help in assigning this issue to the right owner.

Thanks..!

pasurla via monorail

Nov 6, 2023, 7:09:11 AM11/6/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #8 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c8

Issue 1499165 has been merged into this issue.

chlily via monorail

Nov 6, 2023, 10:14:04 AM11/6/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #9 on issue 1498938 by chl...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c9

Just to clarify, the download-bubble flag was deprecated and removed in M119. The flag should not be appearing. If that is the only issue, this is WAI.

I read the original report as saying that the flag appeared and then disappeared when enabled. If that's the case, there's some bug with the flags UI. The flag should not be appearing in the first place.

pasalav via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 1:53:09 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #10 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c10

Issue 1499878 has been merged into this issue.

664978 via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 2:03:50 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #11 on issue 1498938 by 664978@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c11

I just wanted to clarify the issue to developers: problem is not with your code, but rather with the feature itself. It was a serious mistake implementing it to begin with. I am a dev myself, so feel sorry for those who wasted their time and effort into this borderline sabotage project. The bubble is super user unfriendly, millions of users cannot get used to it (sorry for sad pun), as it requires ninja attention to catch a flying download notification. Each download has to be clicked 2-3 times before a user can confirm it has worked. Whatever was so easy and obvious with download shelf, became super confusing and annoying with the flickin bubble. Please revert and improve your design stage, as apparently this is where the problem lies, not with the code.

pasurla via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 5:36:03 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #12 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c12

Issue 1499976 has been merged into this issue.

misseill via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 8:20:08 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #15 on issue 1498938 by miss...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c15

Thank you, 664...@gmail.com for getting to the heart of the issue. I'll reiterate your sentiment, we know the code is WAI, but the additional mouse clicks to get to a download is completely user unfriendly and counterintuitive to what an improvement is. The new icon is cute, tho, maybe you can figure out a new way to use it?

rickmaiden35 via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 8:51:43 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #16 on issue 1498938 by rickma...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c16

'..maybe you can figure out a new way to use it'?!?!?!? Un-fucking-believable ARROGANCE.... Mayb eyou can figure out a way to shove it.

664978 via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 8:53:56 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #17 on issue 1498938 by 664978@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c17

Folks, keep it civil, otherwise we ain't no getting no download shelf back by Xmas.

misseill via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 8:56:44 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #18 on issue 1498938 by miss...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c18

I was going with a kiss kill kiss approach - it is a nice icon! And yes, Download shelf! Download shelf! Download shelf! (I saw a thing recently that chants get things done.)

664978 via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 8:59:18 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #19 on issue 1498938 by 664978@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c19

In case we get shelved (hehe), continue our frustration here: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/17niw3h/tutorial_how_to_disable_the_download_bubble_in/

misseill via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 9:05:42 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #20 on issue 1498938 by miss...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c20

Thanks! I created a ticket thanks to a Reddit thread, it's good to be in good company.

chlily via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 9:55:41 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org
Updates:

Comment #21 on issue 1498938 by chl...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c21

Thanks for your feedback. The --disable-features flag is also temporary and will be removed sometime. The UI change was made for many reasons which you can read about here: https://blog.chromium.org/2023/08/redesigning-chrome-downloads-to-keep.html. It will not be un-launched.

ewestsounds via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 10:13:14 AM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #22 on issue 1498938 by ewest...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c22

All BS arguements here: https://blog.chromium.org/2023/08/redesigning-chrome-downloads-to-keep.html
These arguements are only saying "we want to get modern", "shelf takes too much screen space" but they do not consider that the browsing experience many times is only for making multiple downloads. It is an horrible decision to kill the download shelf, which gave better control and demanded less attention to finished downloads. At least it should me manteined as an option. This download bubble, I can say for sure, is user unfriendly for many people. The arguements for keeping only the download bubble are far from reasonable.

vedshree via monorail

Nov 7, 2023, 11:59:01 PM11/7/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #23 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c23

Issue 1500252 has been merged into this issue.

pasurla via monorail

Nov 8, 2023, 5:06:02 AM11/8/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #24 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c24

Issue 1500117 has been merged into this issue.

movy.com.au via monorail

Nov 8, 2023, 11:42:36 PM11/8/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #25 on issue 1498938 by movy....@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c25

I had just literally clicked download link 10 times because with "new" bubble there's NO notification that download has started (and yes, I have 10 copies of the same pdf now). This is insane design decision. Chromium team just took same terrible UI that Firefox and Safari had for a decade and made it even worse. AMAZING.

Do you have any internal metrics of how many times same download link was clicked by a user? I am certain this metric had skyrocketed since the download shelf was removed.

vedshree via monorail

Nov 9, 2023, 12:42:00 AM11/9/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #26 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c26

Issue 1500777 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 10, 2023, 12:09:50 AM11/10/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #28 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c28

Issue 1500971 has been merged into this issue.

vedshree via monorail

Nov 10, 2023, 1:01:48 AM11/10/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #29 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c29

Issue 1500581 has been merged into this issue.

xfeedanal via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 7:05:10 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #31 on issue 1498938 by xfee...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c31

omg, so glad I found this report. It's been annoying hell out of me as nine out of ten times a download link or button as at the bottom of a page, and after the shelf was removed, there is no indication of anything happening at the bottom of browser window whenever download starts. What kind of a trainee with zero internet browsing experience came up with such a bananas idea to make download indicator size of a pinky thumbnail and put it waaaaaay out of the user's current attention focus? Google keeps pushing UI guidelines, but this archaic feature breaks about every single one of them. Unless there's some sinister plot brewing to throw away downloads from Chrome altogether? "Only 3% of users used the download feature so we're sunsetting it in Q2 2024, please make sure to move all your downloads elsewhere".

alexchexes via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 9:04:35 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #32 on issue 1498938 by alexc...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c32

Unfortunately, this is closed as WontFix. Looks like they won't give up the idea user don't need to download anything. It's part of their new philosophy: zero downloads by 2030.

sonic65101 via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 9:09:21 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #33 on issue 1498938 by sonic...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c33

It definitely results in a hostile user experience. I'm using the command line parameter --disable-features=DownloadBubble for now, but as soon as that gets deprecated I'm planning on switching to another browser as Chrome will no longer be usable.

enzarsoriano.tech via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 9:12:09 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #34 on issue 1498938 by enzarsor...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c34

To chilly, flags-dev and whoever owns this ticket.

Is there a way to disable the download-bubble feature by default? Then if ever the user wants to use the new download feature they can enable it by themselves. Majority, we prefer the recent download feature.

I think it would be possible to include the changes in the next update.

Atleast let us have the option to choose.

alexchexes via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 9:15:57 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #35 on issue 1498938 by alexc...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c35

Omg @sonic..., thank you so much! I added that parameter to my Chrome shortcut, and it brought back the classic downloads shelf!!! I just didn't know about it. By the way, do you think this feature will also be removed? I'm using the latest version of Chrome right now, and it's working.

nam212464 via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 9:54:44 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #36 on issue 1498938 by nam2...@hotmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c36

#Google - Please see the number of user who do not like / do not wish to have the new download bubble please bring back the option for the original and stop ignoring your user base.

ron.w.perez via monorail

Nov 13, 2023, 11:04:09 AM11/13/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #37 on issue 1498938 by ron.w...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c37

You can even keep the bubble, just give us the option

pasalav via monorail

Nov 14, 2023, 12:53:08 AM11/14/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #38 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c38

Issue 1501239 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 15, 2023, 5:03:33 AM11/15/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #39 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c39

Issue 1500521 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 15, 2023, 5:07:06 AM11/15/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #40 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c40

Issue 1500882 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 16, 2023, 4:14:24 AM11/16/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #42 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c42

Issue 1502459 has been merged into this issue.

david via monorail

Nov 16, 2023, 8:45:28 AM11/16/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #44 on issue 1498938 by da...@davidmurdoch.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c44

Remove this stupid new feature. Who told you this new way was modern? It's not, it's stupid and useless.

detlaslegacy via monorail

Nov 16, 2023, 11:27:31 AM11/16/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #45 on issue 1498938 by detlas...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c45

Nah I'm just gonna switch browsers.

To Chilly: I hope one day you'll get half a brain to figure out that the new design is not user friendly at all. Most websites put the download button near the bottom of the screen, and the shelf just happens to be near the bottom. It requires less mouse travel to click to open said file, and therefore provides a more streamlined experience. The new download button is for those people who like the Windows 11 design, which is to say visual over functionality. Those designs are for some words that I can't use who think having a clean looking desktop is the most important step towards writing half decent code.

ron.w.perez via monorail

Nov 16, 2023, 11:56:24 AM11/16/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #46 on issue 1498938 by ron.w...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c46

Chilly, whoever, thanks for the link on the reasoning, but yikes. The
contempt for your users. It sounds like Chromium thinks users are
incompetent toddlers.

I completely understand the desire to want to modernize the UI, but there
are dozens of users TELLING YOU we hate the new feature, the previous flow
was convenient and effective, will you please just leave the option for us.
You can default to the new one, absolutely. Make it pretty, highlight it.

But WHY take away my ability to customize my browser? I left Firefox
BECAUSE they did not have the user friendly shelf that Chromium has. If
this goes away with no option to restore and no extension, I am back on the
market for a new browser.

Yes, it is that important.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 12:50:35 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #47 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c47

Issue 1502912 has been merged into this issue.

vedshree via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 2:59:46 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #48 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c48

Issue 1502801 has been merged into this issue.

chlily via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 4:55:47 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #50 on issue 1498938 by chl...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c50

It's not possible for us to maintain two completely separate, continuously diverging UIs, both on a technical level and for the sake of a consistent and secure user experience. The old UI is no longer maintained and will be removed.

timsahyiyen via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 5:19:37 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #52 on issue 1498938 by timsa...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c52

To Chlily: Great! This is what we have been expecting from the likes of you...

The only reason I have been using Android over iOS was the level of freedom it gave to us. The choices and the rest. iOS acts like users are dumb and should just stick to whatever they give to us. "You can't do this, you can't do that, we know better" mentality.

Seems you are going that way too.

Well, it's not possible for me to maintain an idiotic browser, that doesn't let me download 3-4 files at once and click them in the order I like.
This "chrome" browser I have been using will no longer be needed and will be removed from my computer.
You can continue to serve "simple" users who don't need downloads or don't care about the time they lose.
Viva la revolution.

alexchexes via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 5:29:16 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #53 on issue 1498938 by alexc...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c53

@chilli

Are you seriously saying that you care about the user experience? You ruined it just for the sake of visual “modernity”, rolling out a half-working, raw UI that users hate.

Just look at those tens of issues, comments, reddit threads, all screaming WE DON’T LIKE THE “NEW UI”.

Then just remove that stillborn new “bubble ui”, fire the one who created it, apologize to your users, and start improving the classical downloads UI (not by removing its features but by adding them).

alexchexes via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 5:29:58 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #54 on issue 1498938 by alexc...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c54

@Chlily

Are you seriously saying that you care about the user experience? You ruined it just for the sake of visual “modernity”, rolling out a half-working, raw UI that users hate.

Just look at those tens of issues, comments, reddit threads, all screaming WE DON’T LIKE THE “NEW UI”.

Then just remove that stillborn new “bubble UI”, fire the one who created it, apologize to your users, and start improving the classical downloads UI (not by removing its features but by adding them).

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 7:34:30 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #55 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c55

Issue 1502840 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 7:36:44 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #56 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c56

Issue 1502806 has been merged into this issue.

nam212464 via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 8:30:29 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #57 on issue 1498938 by nam2...@hotmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c57

Thank you for your comments chilly unfortunately you completely miss the point that the new version you have provided is not fit for purpose and is less effective as the previous one, making us waste more time while using your browser. What we are asking for is the more effective option to be put back. Or if really want to keep these less effective one then give us the option of both. This seems like a change made by an engineer just to justify there job rather than improving the system. Stop trying to copy apple and give the users what they want which is the old download option back.

mairys via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 8:40:03 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #58 on issue 1498938 by mai...@packlogic.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c58

hello,

I will suggest to give the customer the option to choose from just as before and it will give you the data on how many users will go back and disabled the bubble.
With downloading apps/softwares we have run into issues as well as they have their own system and the links do not show up.
We as a company had to use another browser to download those programs following the instructions direceted with the download not showing on the bottom it created an error and we could not do anything else.

Give the users the option to choose to keep it or dissable it.

ron.w.perez via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 9:38:43 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #59 on issue 1498938 by ron.w...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c59

Well, this is extremely disappointing. I find it far-fetched and hard to
believe it is a considerable drain on Google's resources to maintain a UI
and feature that....already is there and works and has been there for
years. It's certainly not like Google is starved for funds.

The new UI is dreadful and is objectively less efficient on top of
disrupting a time-proven workflow. Time to start looking for other browsers
I suppose.

ron.w.perez via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 9:39:24 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #60 on issue 1498938 by ron.w...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c60

I regret that other users are being hostile in their replies as it's not
helpful or kind, but I hope you can see how strongly users feel about this.

zzhekabud via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 9:48:30 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #61 on issue 1498938 by zzhe...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c61

For those who still struggle like me there is a solution may help you
https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/242854992/how-to-enable-the-download-bar?hl=en

alexchexes via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 9:52:13 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #62 on issue 1498938 by alexc...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c62

@zzhek...
Thanks! However, they said above they will cut off that feature as soon as they can.

detlaslegacy via monorail

Nov 17, 2023, 11:02:52 AM11/17/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #64 on issue 1498938 by detlas...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c64

The new UI isn't even remotely sensible as I have mentioned before, and being "secure" in your way is just add more roadblocks stopping us from downloading stuff over the internet? How stupid has humanity gotten in the past 20 years?

peter.oneppo via monorail

Nov 18, 2023, 1:14:14 AM11/18/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #66 on issue 1498938 by peter....@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c66

"It's not possible for us to maintain two completely separate, continuously diverging UIs, both on a technical level and for the sake of a consistent and secure user experience. The old UI is no longer maintained and will be removed."

Classic UI (design) vs UX (design + functionality) confusion. The new UI does not provide the same features as the old one. I hate the new UI, but I would be willing to try to get used to it *if* I could achieve my desired outcomes. If you really want to reduce maintenance efforts, you could always remove the back, forward, and refresh buttons as well as the address bar. Imagine how clean that UI would be!

yersfr via monorail

Nov 19, 2023, 2:43:08 AM11/19/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #67 on issue 1498938 by yer...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c67

Hello, I suffer from mild glaucoma in my right eye and im quite relieved that I found this thread. The new download bubble feels like all accessibility concerns with the design of Chrome have been completely ignored for the sake of a "sleeker", modern looking new feature. It got forced onto my browser a few days ago and I redownloaded a document several times thinking it had simply not worked when in fact I just couldn't see the new download bubble appear due to my condition.

It forces me to move my vision quite significantly to view it, when before just glancing at the bottom of my screen with a normal posture allowed me to see anything I had downloaded easily. please reconsider this change to chrome, its been very upsetting

664978 via monorail

Nov 19, 2023, 4:23:25 AM11/19/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #68 on issue 1498938 by 664978@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c68

I wonder whether the devs still receive notifications on this thread after they had closed it as "wontfix"? If not, then why do they keep merging all other complaints about this botched UI facelift attempt into this thread that noone of the devs reads any longer?
On the other hand, if they do receive notifications then this issue clearly should be re-opened and escalated until someone who actually cares about UX notices it. As right now it looks like users just vent amongst themselves here.

vedshree via monorail

Nov 20, 2023, 12:13:19 AM11/20/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #69 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c69

Issue 1503175 has been merged into this issue.

pasalav via monorail

Nov 20, 2023, 12:57:08 AM11/20/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #70 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c70

Issue 1503541 has been merged into this issue.

pasalav via monorail

Nov 20, 2023, 12:57:28 AM11/20/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #71 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c71

Issue 1503529 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Nov 20, 2023, 2:36:57 AM11/20/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #72 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c72

Issue 1503430 has been merged into this issue.

igissmail via monorail

Nov 23, 2023, 9:49:04 AM11/23/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #74 on issue 1498938 by igis...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c74

Please add the ability to bring the old download bar back. It's necessary for lots of users who download multiple files at once. Please listen to your community.

nam212464 via monorail

Nov 23, 2023, 11:19:46 AM11/23/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #75 on issue 1498938 by nam2...@hotmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c75

Please if any one from Google is reading these please see the number of users on here and on other forms who have valid reasons why the current design is not working and require the old one to be brought back.
Just like the people at open ai did this week Liston to your user base and make the changes reested.

Thank you for reading

ron.w.perez via monorail

Nov 23, 2023, 12:49:13 PM11/23/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #76 on issue 1498938 by ron.w...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c76

Yes. It’s not an aesthetic thing. It’s a function thing. It’s UX.

yizuman via monorail

Nov 27, 2023, 3:33:00 AM11/27/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #77 on issue 1498938 by yiz...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c77

Bring back the download bar. The download bubble STINKS!

vedshree via monorail

Nov 29, 2023, 3:19:37 AM11/29/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #78 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c78

Issue 1505636 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Dec 1, 2023, 1:23:56 AM12/1/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #79 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c79

Issue 1506428 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Dec 6, 2023, 12:29:39 AM12/6/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #80 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c80

Issue 1505282 has been merged into this issue.

vedshree via monorail

Dec 11, 2023, 1:30:43 AM12/11/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #81 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c81

Issue 1510225 has been merged into this issue.

pasalav via monorail

Dec 14, 2023, 2:07:34 AM12/14/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #82 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c82

Issue 1511256 has been merged into this issue.

yoquiale via monorail

Dec 14, 2023, 6:23:55 AM12/14/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #83 on issue 1498938 by yoqu...@gmail.com: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c83

It must be an awful UX then.

ssiliveru via monorail

Dec 14, 2023, 6:54:05 AM12/14/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #84 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c84

Issue 1511318 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Dec 15, 2023, 3:44:30 AM12/15/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #85 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c85

Issue 1511634 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Dec 15, 2023, 6:59:50 AM12/15/23
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #86 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c86

Issue 1511624 has been merged into this issue.

pasalav via monorail

Jan 19, 2024, 12:54:47 AMJan 19
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #89 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c89

Issue 1519705 has been merged into this issue.

vedshree via monorail

Jan 31, 2024, 1:02:15 AMJan 31
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #90 on issue 1498938 by veds...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c90

Issue 1523134 has been merged into this issue.

ssiliveru via monorail

Feb 2, 2024, 12:01:26 AMFeb 2
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #91 on issue 1498938 by ssil...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c91

Issue 1524045 has been merged into this issue.

pasalav via monorail

Feb 2, 2024, 12:02:08 AMFeb 2
to flag...@chromium.org

Comment #92 on issue 1498938 by pas...@chromium.org: Download bubble flag disappears
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498938#c92

Issue 1523903 has been merged into this issue.