Reverse Origin Trial for JS Dialogs Deprecation

Carlos IL

Jun 10, 2021, 7:35:58 PM6/10/21
to experimentation-dev
Hi experimentation-dev,

I'm working on a deprecation (removing support for JS dialogs in different origin subframes), and during the I2R(https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/hTOXiBj3D6A/m/JtkdpDd1BAAJ), it was suggested to implement a reverse origin trial to allow sites to opt out from the deprecation.

I already implemented the trial on Chromium (see crrev.com/c/2908174), and I'm now working on the creating the trial itself. All the documentation I could find was for a regular origin trial, so I have a few questions regarding using origin trials in this manner:

  • Should I still file an Intent to Experiment? We're not really experimenting or collecting metrics with this, we just want to give website owners who want to opt-out more time before the deprecation hits them.
  • Similarly, the Origin Trial request form asks for a use counter, but we are not monitoring this, we have use counters for the features that are deprecated, but that seems separate from the OT, so I'm not sure what to use for a UseCounter.
  • Documentation says to change the chromestatus entry to Origin Trial, but I assume that should not be the case here right? As the deprecation will be rolled out to all users, and the origin trial just opts out.
Thanks,
-Carlos

Marijn Kruisselbrink

Jun 10, 2021, 7:44:09 PM6/10/21
to Carlos IL, experimentation-dev
Did you see https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features#TOC-Feature-deprecations ? As far as I know that page tries to describe the process for this, including reverse origin trials. If you create the correct type of entry on chromestatus.com it should give you the right email templates etc.

Carlos IL

Jun 10, 2021, 7:53:22 PM6/10/21
to Marijn Kruisselbrink, experimentation-dev
Sorry for the noise, I completely missed that as I was searching for reverse origin trial, that seems to answer all my questions, thanks for the pointer!